moonshine

oldfatguy

Feeling OK today??

-----oh yeah, after a couple glasses I was feeling pretty good. The fatguy learned moderation many years ago by trial and error.

Put some in your mini's gas tank and lets us know how it runs.

------at over 100 dollars a gallon I'm not about to try that.

I saw the stuff for sale and just had to try it after watching those shows on TV.

we had a still in the basement when I was a kid.we'd put a shotglass right under the tube and wait for it to fill up. :drinkup:

If you run your home made stuff threw a carbon water filtration system you can significantly clean it up.

Now making caramel and or aging techniques to flavour the alcohol is the true art.

A chum of mine from Poland told me they would get pure grain ethanol from tanks on some Mig Aircraft.
Not sure what its intended purpose was be he said in Comunist days they would make liquires and things to barter.

1 part distiller and 2 parts mixologist.

Coleman latern fuel:laugh:
Depends what you are making and process.

Where I live corn is not a common crop.
Barely, wheat and rye are.

Rye and Barley make good mash.
Rye grows good and produces a nice hard starchy kernle and 2 row barley has more enzimes than required when malted correctly so you can use up a lot of cheaper Rye and add the two row only as needed to react the starches if you need some help.
This gives you a lot of wiggle room....
You can even use wheat cooked as an adjunct.

Starch to sugar conversion.
Temperature sensative step.
You want to make short simple sugars for ease of fermentation.
The longer chains make better flavours ( more on this later ).

Fermantation, depends on the SG of the mash and types of yeast used.
Since this is an autum practive up here you may want to use a strain of yeast thats better at cold temperature ( a lager yeast for example will continue to work at low temperature where a wine or ale yeast will stop and go to sleep ).
Yeast selection will impart flavours in your mash too.
Warmer buisy yeasts are more buttery tasting.

Distilation
Columb still.....
Its 2014 get with the times man!
Blending aging.
This is where the long chain sugars in the malts come into play, also roasting grains to make crystal malts will produce sweater richer tasting products Wiskeys to be more specific

Aging.
French Oak....
This can be done in glass using chips if you want o try and hide what it is your doing as a home brew beer opperation, but your giong to want to allow some air in wo air locks are not used, but rather a loose cork bung.
Barrles are prefered because they can be chared and breath correctly for the right kid of aging.

Vodka is completely different.....
This is something you distill to high purity.
The whole point is not to have any flavour at all!
Rice can often be used to add starches to the mash.
You can buy man made enzimes that force the creation of small chain sugars for better fermentation.

All of this however is pure speculation on my part.
Home distilation is against the law and I only dable in a bit of beer or wine now and then.

Lanterns and lamps have been manufactured to run on ethanol.
Mostly found in Nordic countries where they are a highly collectable thing these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dROpVxy3FGo

Last edited:
guy at work got me a jar from the back woods of Kentucky...that sh*t will put lead in your pencil real quick!!!! Its been a while since its been compromised but its a bout due.....

oldfatguy

the Junior Johnson shine that I bought was diluted down to 100 proof. The real stuff can be 150 or more. It actually tasted pretty good, but I could tell that it is a bit stronger than the Evan Williams that I usually drink. Someday I hope to get a chance to try the real thing.

now if I could only find a stainless beer keg cheap

the Junior Johnson shine that I bought was diluted down to 100 proof. The real stuff can be 150 or more. It actually tasted pretty good, but I could tell that it is a bit stronger than the Evan Williams that I usually drink. Someday I hope to get a chance to try the real thing.

now if I could only find a stainless beer keg cheap
Your a day laye and a dollar short.
But I have a couple of Pepsi ball lock kegs from Seatle left in my back yard..
funny story how they ended up in north eastern Canada lol.

All kidding a side the small pop kegs are actualy quite useful.
You can silver solder all kinds of modifications too them.

Columb still is what you should research.
The advantage is much tighter control of yeild and a cleaner more pure product in one step.
You can do things in a columb you cant in a pot....

And they can be very small

That lamp is very cool vid's kept me busy like a hour!

oldfatguy you should try metal scrap yards and or recycling i find the best stuff there.