More Caper Cycle Talk

Oldsalt

The attached pic is an original Caper Cycle dealer poster. I'm glad to hear that Aaron found another one! Whomever abandoned it in a pile of leaves surely had no idea of how hard they are to find. I notice that it has the later aluminum fenders with the corners cliped at 45 degrees. Earlier ones were usually rounded on the ends. Ben Hunt had a PULMAX machine that was used to cut the radius....but clipping using the shear was easier. Ben painted them several different colors. Usually red. As an ag equipment builder/repairer he usually had on hand John Deer Green and Yellow and other equipment colors like Ford Blue and he'd use it up on Capers when he could. It will be noted that the engine plate is made from 10 ga. diamond plate. His main line of manufactured articles was pick-up rear bumpers that used a lot of it. See pic of a sales sheet that shows his line. A lot of the diamond plate ended up as drop-off behind the shear, however, Ben utilized as much as possible on the Capers rather than sending it to the scrap yard. A few years ago I got to talking with a local guy that found a frame and wheels of a Doodle Bug in the town dump. He was 10 or 12 years old and acquired a lawnmower engine and got it running. Ben at that time was thinking about getting into the mini bike boom and asked if he could measure it up. When I heard this I high tailed it home and rolled up my Hiawatha Doodle Bug next to one of my Capers...and sure enough; They were basicly the same size with the same fork rake and etc! z222 001 297.jpg DSCF8840.JPG

markus

@Oldsalt you gotta get the poster repopped! ever since you posted it up years ago I have lusted over it :D Are you still able to make fenders? Someday I will finish mine, this year I did give up on fixing my rear brake drum and raised the rear axle mount and fender strap and will be running a 6" wheel in the back on my '62, with will sit level but have that typical big n' little look that some of the other bikes of the era had too. I am using some factory chrome Fox campus hubs (so I will have chrome hubs/sprocket on painted wheel halves) for the conversion along with a modified azuza 5" brake mech so it will still look like the 1963 wheel setup when its all done (hopefully) but give me bigger brakes and a little more ground clearance for the rear sprocket. I just have to shorten the snout on the hub as the campus used a really wide snout. I Had some red mixed up last trip tot he paint store for it as well, just gotta get off my duff and do it.

IMG_2124.JPG

Oldsalt

@Oldsalt you gotta get the poster repopped! ever since you posted it up years ago I have lusted over it :D Are you still able to make fenders? Someday I will finish mine, this year I did give up on fixing my rear brake drum and raised the rear axle mount and fender strap and will be running a 6" wheel in the back on my '62, with will sit level but have that typical big n' little look that some of the other bikes of the era had too. I am using some factory chrome Fox campus hubs (so I will have chrome hubs/sprocket on painted wheel halves) for the conversion along with a modified azuza 5" brake mech so it will still look like the 1963 wheel setup when its all done (hopefully) but give me bigger brakes and a little more ground clearance for the rear sprocket. I just have to shorten the snout on the hub as the campus used a really wide snout. I Had some red mixed up last trip tot he paint store for it as well, just gotta get off my duff and do it.

View attachment 270044
Today I went to a local metal shop and had material sheared for two pairs of fenders. Found the dies and the paperwork in my shop to reproduce them. A strip of 'drop off' behind their shear that will make 5 fenders [4 X 12] was $20! By the way. The usual Caper Cycle red paint that Ben used was Massey Ferguson/Massey Harris red if you wish to use what he used. Made and repaired a lot of farm equipment so he often had some Ford blue or John Deere yellow he needed to use up, therefore there were bikes produced with colors other than the red.

markus

Today I went to a local metal shop and had material sheared for two pairs of fenders. Found the dies and the paperwork in my shop to reproduce them. A strip of 'drop off' behind their shear that will make 5 fenders [4 X 12] was $20! By the way. The usual Caper Cycle red paint that Ben used was Massey Ferguson/Massey Harris red if you wish to use what he used. Made and repaired a lot of farm equipment so he often had some Ford blue or John Deere yellow he needed to use up, therefore there were bikes produced with colors other than the red.

If you end up having an extra set of fender to sell let me know. On the Red I had mixed up I researched off of info you have posted up in the past about the tractor colors and brought that to the Paint shop. Of course With Axalta buying out Dupont (I use the Nason line of paints) a few years back I always have trouble with the codes, and sometimes what they call it. I'm just calling it "Pandemic Red" at this point, because you cant go in the paint shop right now, I was slipping the paper with the code through the door to have it mixed up :D Mine was for sure Red originally so I am rolling with that, not that it matters that much since I lost "restoration" status the minute I told Kenny to slice and inch off the top of the seat when he was making it, not to mention the rear wheel changes....... Resto-custom it is :)

Oldsalt

If you end up having an extra set of fender to sell let me know. On the Red I had mixed up I researched off of info you have posted up in the past about the tractor colors and brought that to the Paint shop. Of course With Axalta buying out Dupont (I use the Nason line of paints) a few years back I always have trouble with the codes, and sometimes what they call it. I'm just calling it "Pandemic Red" at this point, because you cant go in the paint shop right now, I was slipping the paper with the code through the door to have it mixed up :D Mine was for sure Red originally so I am rolling with that, not that it matters that much since I lost "restoration" status the minute I told Kenny to slice and inch off the top of the seat when he was making it, not to mention the rear wheel changes....... Resto-custom it is :)

Marcus
Made two pair of fenders. Aaron wants one pair and I'll reserve the other pair for you if you wish. Let me know. If you wish to also have a reproduced fork 'decal' I have 4 left. The fenders are like the ones on the later model Caper pictured. DSCF8835.JPG

Thanks Lon for all the info and for taking the time to make the fenders. I really look forward to meeting you in person to pick them up. I'm definitely in agreement with Markus.....we NEED to get that banner repopped!!
I just got my frame/fork blasted and primered and its in really good shape....just a little pitting. I'm trying to decide what color to choose as I can't tell what color mine was originally. Do you know if all of these came with silver wheels or did they color match the frame with the wheels?

markus

Marcus
Made two pair of fenders. Aaron wants one pair and I'll reserve the other pair for you if you wish. Let me know. If you wish to also have a reproduced fork 'decal' I have 4 left. The fenders are like the ones on the later model Caper pictured. View attachment 271208
I'll definitely take a pair of fenders! I am OK on the decal, A buddy got one done for me out in Cali a while back. I'll pm ya Thanks!

@Adavis007 I found my stash of brake cables and double knuckled brake levers today while being confined inside with noting to do as the tropical storm/hurricane chruns by us out in the gulf of Mexico right now. Found them while moving some things higher up just incase we get flooding.