More testing video clips

Oldsalt

I'm impressed with the engineering and workmanship that I saw on the close ups you took. Thank you for the opportunity to see the machines. Serious equipment is always enjoyable to see.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Thanks!
We originally told him he is going to need that chain stuff. But he didn't listen at first. He just wanted to ride it, and worry later.

That frame with the jr.dragster motor is now trashed after the accident. He is now building a custom frame with live axle, and a steering damper. That's the bad part of having to much power.

Oldsalt

What do ya use for a steering damper...one off a motorcycle? What rake do you ususlly use when making a frame? Why a live axle? I got lots of questions.

65ShelbyClone

What's that? :001_tongue:

You mentioned a new frame with a steering damper. Was headshake what caused him to go down?

I'm impatient as all heck, but I'm trying to take my time and prevent issues like that before I even get the frame design sorted out.

How bad is the wrecked frame? I need a cheap one....

How do you keep from laughing when these guys come to you to buy lightweight parts MDB? I know that you wouldn't make any money telling them to just get the 8 piece meal instead, but damn. I'm not knockin anyone, just an observation. :thumbsup: :scooter:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The steering dampers come from parted out motorcycles usually 750cc-1000cc motorcycles.

The guy was racing in the middle of the street and hit a pot hole. He begin to wobble very bad at a high speed and blam. Why in the middle of the street?? He wasn't thinking at the time.

The standard 5/8" bolt axle tend to bend all the time. The 5/8" keyed axle shaft is a bit stronger, but will also bend under to much power. The standard 1" shaft live axle is much stronger and you can't bend it. The live axle bearings makes things a bit smoother anyway.

I don't make the frames, but they usually have between a 15-20 degree rake on them form the maker. The live axle bearings, shaft, collars, mounting hubs(gear, wheel) puts a extra 20 lbs onto the minibike. With disc brakes even more.

Oldsalt

Thanks for the info. The triple engine mini bike I built has 26 degrees for rake. Why 26? I measured the Heath Boonie and copied it. That, of course, is the blind leading the blind. I am convinced that the tires commonly available for mini bikes have the poorest design possible. Couldn't be worse. They are almost flat across their width. Like a car tire. No good for a two wheeler. A for sure contributor to a high speed wobble. Does anyone make a rounded "motor cycle" configuration in a mini bike size tire?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Carlisle is a very good quality tire. There usually called old style kart racing tires. All the ones I use are 4 ply and are made from real quality rubber. Other then that kart tires can handle just about any speed you can throw at them.

I usually run kart tires on all my racing stuff. One my slower minibike I run the carlisle tires.

65ShelbyClone

The kart tires seem to be reliable only up to about 140mph. Way overkill for a mini, but some of those karts are easily capable of speeds that high.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It's to bad most of the kart tires produced are waisted in stock class racing. The outlaw and shifter guys only make up 10% of kart racing combined. The bad part is the stock class guys are going crazy slow. Maybe 50 mph at the most. I think the reason the percentage is so high for stock class because it's more setup for kids. And kids is the reason kart racing is around.