Mountaineer

Hi everyone, Just signed up today. Great site. I need some advice on a Mountaineer mini Bike I picked up on Craigs List a couple of weeks ago. It originally had two jackshafts but one has been removed. The jackshaft it has , has a 6'' pulley with a 11 tooth sprocket. The pulley is attached to some sort of clutch which is not salvageable. It has 14'' wheels with a 38 tooth sprocket. I am thinking of just using one jackshaft and keeping the rear sprocket. I have a 6 HP motor that I will be installing. What I need help with is sprocket size for the jackshaft to the rear wheel. How many teeth on the clutch. It has a shift lever for the motor mount to change tension on the once upon a time belt drive, but I will not be using that at this time. Just need some advice on a single jackshaft right now. I would like to restore it to its original double jackshaft sometime in the future when I have the funds to do so. Any help would be most appreciated. I will upload photo's as soon as I can figure out how to.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes! I don't know much at all about that style bike. Show some pictures on here, it will help figure it out

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

Comet 20 driver and driven pulleys would be where I started. You would need a shaft with proper keyways. A sprocket to match the chain size of your second jackshaft. Bearings and a pulley for a brake.

I can give you the original specifications, but not how to modify it. I have one in my collection. It has all the original parts. So I can go count teeth on sprockets this weekend; if you're interested

Sorry. Been a bit busy, will try getting to it this weekend. Did a 100 mile mini bike race, cracked 2 of my frames. Haven't forgotten about you

I also have a Mountaineer Elk Packer model with the 2 speed double jackshaft setup. I have the rear jackshaft apart right now to replace a missing ball bearing in the shift mechanism that was causing a problem. Mine has a 5 hp Tecumseh H50 motor with a lighting coil and the Deepco belt clutch setup. There are still a few of these that occasionally pop up around Spokane, WA for sale as they were made there by Yard Marvel, a lawn equipment maker.

I have not found any original parts, just kind of pieced it back to running condition. I put a Subaru motor on it and replaced bearings and sprockets and it runs fine. I would love to get it back to original, but don't know where to start. I am very happy with it, handles like a dream and is a blast to ride.

I have not found any original parts, just kind of pieced it back to running condition. I put a Subaru motor on it and replaced bearings and sprockets and it runs fine. I would love to get it back to original, but don't know where to start. I am very happy with it, handles like a dream and is a blast to ride.
That’s great I’ll prolly do something similar doesn’t have to be original to ride and have fun