Moving is an adventure ? or Tourcher is fun ?

Well I am moving from Beaverton, Oregon to Astoria, Oregon where the mighty Columbia River meets the Ocean. A big change from living in this apartment now for almost 20 years. The pain is making the decision on what to take and what to get rid of.
I am moving in with my next door neighbors who bought the house and it was built in 1926. It has been remodeled but still has
All the vintage look.
I will be able to see all the big ships headed up the Columbia river toward Portland and beyond. Interesting to see how the ocean tides work against the river flow. Astoria is a working man's town with logging and fishing plus all the tourist that come to see the Gooney House and to visit the Maritime Museum.
They have a converted gill net boat sitting on a trailer the is a food court The Bowpicker sells only fish and chips and caned soft drinks and the line is often block long. The use Albacore Tuna and thick cut fries and the taste is wonderfully good .
the cook all day till the supply of food is gone and they close shop.

Steve :scooter:

...They have a converted gill net boat sitting on a trailer the is a food court The Bowpicker sells only fish and chips and caned soft drinks and the line is often block long. The use Albacore Tuna and thick cut fries and the taste is wonderfully good .
the cook all day till the supply of food is gone and they close shop.

Steve :scooter:
I've stood in that line before. Good chow. My dog was annoyed that I wouldn't share. Be sure to try Custard King at the foot of 16th street. Good luck with your move. Safe travels.

Last edited:
I hate moving! I hate moving so much, I have nightmares for months about having to do again.

Do you know how they used to punish Helen Keller?
They'd move the furniture around.

I'm a lot like that. I hate change.
No! Let's not move the sofa to the other side of the room dear! I just hate getting up in the dark and killing myself on a new floor plan.

Last edited:

buckeye

Man Steve. Sounds like a lot of porch settin for you.
And fresh Salmon. Yummm.
We are trying to downsize our possessions in anticipation of move to the woods in a couple years.
So much junk we have and save.
Congratulations on your new digs. Lots of memories in that Apt.

Last edited:

Davis

Super cool country out there I just spent a week in seaside and went to astoria that is all beautiful and green great place to be!

Steve, good luck on the move :thumbsup: Mama and I have been in our house for almost 16 years now and we are thinking about down sizing and heading west all though not as far west as you :laugh:

Enjoy the move and the scenery. I had to look on Google Earth to check that part of the country out. Beautiful country and I could sit all day long watching ships going by. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Moving can be a great thing, I will move once more in my life when my youngest graduates 5yrs from now because my house is too big and I'm not filling it up with any more people. Sounds like you're moving to paradise Mr. Durham, I wish you the best.:thumbsup:

The hardest part about my move is that I was not able to help much and had to depend on many other to do the hard part of lifting and loading all my stuff. Lisa and Randy my new landlord and friends worked their self to the bone making trips to the new home. It's unreal how much junk/treasures one can collect and now the work of eliminating all the less important items and what to keep like my son Steven's favorite tea cup and things that remind me so much of him and the huge hole in my heart now that he is gone.
Being off the internet for two weeks was no fun but now I have my TV and home phone and internet.
Looking out the back window of the office area I can see two freight ships anchored in the Columbia River channel they swing around when there is a tide change. And the out flow to the ocean of the mighty Columbia River and this makes hard passage across the Columbia Bar one of the most dangerous in the US.
Steve

Moving to where we are now was the best thing we ever did Steve.
Sounds like you moved to a nice place.Best wishes to ya.
Let's see some pics out the back window.

I will get some pictures soon we have some trees on other properties that block a clear view of the river and two of the anchor points. I was thinking of installing a tripod on top of the Garage roof with a wireless rotating camera to add to the 4 other cameras I have now.
Steve

With the hot weather in Portland this quiet little town sure fills up with crowds of people enjoying the much cooler weather and visiting all the shops in old town Astoria. I went out and visited the Tung point Job Core center where 450 students train. I was impressed with the big layout probably built in the 1940's but well kept up. It's just up the road from my home and there is a big fish processing factory there to Pacific Seafood. A nice outing for me. And of course I forgot the camera.
Steve