MTD Columbia Mud Bug.

I picked up this Old MTD Columbia Mud Bug today. It has a failed attempt of someone trying to put a snowmobile engine in it. I guess its good it was never finished. Someone with stick welder with no experience welded rebar and chrome tube on the back end for who knows what reason! I removed the crap today. Bottom picture,even save the trailer hitch. The body in good shape it a sparkly blue color. Frame descent other than the add ones. Anyone with any info on the type of brakes calipers they used and how the body is suppose to be mounted to it the frame. I don't think 2x4's where to be used and plumber strap to hold the body to the frame. Any info and pictures would be great. I did check out the one on minidoodle, I sure this was a 8hp model. Its hard to get a good photo of the blue metallic.

Last edited:
I never had a Mud Bug but if you have dual disc I would think that trike came with a pair of H&H mechanical calipers. I would decide now if your going to keep this machine or fix and sell it . I would change it out to dual piston hydraulic calipers if the disc can be moved out a bit away from the side of the framework. Would like to see better pictures of the jack shaft area and the underside of the engine mount area.
Steve :scooter:

I never had a Mud Bug but if you have dual disc I would think that trike came with a pair of H&H mechanical calipers. I would decide now if your going to keep this machine or fix and sell it . I would change it out to dual piston hydraulic calipers if the disc can be moved out a bit away from the side of the framework. Would like to see better pictures of the jack shaft area and the underside of the engine mount area.
Steve :scooter:
This is the only picture I have right now of under side. I can get more tomorrow.

I have one the manual is usually availible on ebay on cd ,your tires are totally the wrong profile the back brakes are independent of each other and work from the right and left levers on the bars you use them for quick turning like cutting brakes on a dune buggy,stock had a torque conv. system. the throttle worked off of the right foot pedal :eek:ut: switch to twist or thumb the foot will jack you on stutter bumps :scared: pm me if i can help?

Fat Boy

Hope these pictures explain what you are looking for.... need more pics let me know . My Mud Bug also has the Factory 2x4 and plumbers strap with it ......

Last edited:
Thanks Fat boy for the pictures. I see yours has a 2x4 added under the seat also. I thought that was added by someone along the years on mine. It shows in the added for the Columbia mud bugs that 22x11x87 tires came on the 8 hp models i wonder if that why the 2x4 was used ?.
Those calipers look like the ones still available for the Manco on a lot of site for less than 20 buck. And now I know what the two tabs are for on the back, There for the spring for brake return. Cool.

One more question , How does your body attach to the frame in the front.

fonz

Minibikedude:
I never said a word about it not being a good deal if fact it was a great deal for $125 bucks! I was there Thursday afternoon just a couple hours after he posted it. I really debated on buying it. It was beyound my skill level and the tools I have though. Plus I had trouble getting in and out of the thing. LOL! You got a great deal. Did you see that mini rupp toy thingy he was about to ship out? Was it still there?? It was like a peddle car with a motor. I think another member near by bought it.
Good luck to you on your new project!! It's a winner.:thumbsup:

That's about how mine looked other than you have a conduit clamp up front and mine had some metal plumber strap holding it to the frame, I was thinking of using 2 hockey pucks between the frame and body when putting it back together. Not sure what would be best.
What size tires came on the back of yours.

Minibikedude:
I never said a word about it not being a good deal if fact it was a great deal for $125 bucks! I was there Thursday afternoon just a couple hours after he posted it. I really debated on buying it. It was beyound my skill level and the tools I have though. Plus I had trouble getting in and out of the thing. LOL! You got a great deal. Did you see that mini rupp toy thingy he was about to ship out? Was it still there?? It was like a peddle car with a motor. I think another member near by bought it.
Good luck to you on your new project!! It's a winner.:thumbsup:
No I didn't see it. I call him Saturday morning told him I would be there with in 2 hours, I live 40 minutes away. I had to stop at ATM and get gas in the truck. So I called him 20 minutes out and no answer, So I get to his place and still no answer, His wife/ girlfriend was there, So, I paid her and got the hell out of that neighborhood.
I though worse case the body would go for more than that on eBay. But its a cool trike I like the Color and I buffed it out yesterday and going to wax it up today. So I want to ride it, I have qot buddy that might be interested in it, So, who knows. I never had a trike like this only Honda ATC's, So, I got to try it out. It's growing on me fast.

Last edited:

fonz

The peddle car with a motor is the Rupp mini Go Joe Daveovid1 bought I bet!! I asked Dave in his thread if he bought it from the same guy but he didn't reply..... I saw it there that day. I swear it was the same rig. Can you believe it, A Mud Bug and a Rupp mini Go Joe in the same back yard for sale!! I agree with you about the neighborhood. Didn't look like the safest place to be. He had a VW witha Rolls Royce type body under a tarp setting back there too!! He said only 60 were made in the United States and worth about $8,000 bucks.