MTD Columbia

Bbqman

Hello, new to the group. I just picked up an original 361-520 MTD. It does not run. I am looking to restore with my grandsons. I want to keep as original as possible. It is missing the air cleaner and element. Tires are shot. Motor turns over it is a HS 40, seat is incorrect it looks like. I do have the torque converter cover and original band style brake. Where is the best place to sort original parts for this bike. Thanks in advance for your help IMG_20201019_122659042_HDR.jpg IMG_20201019_122417911_HDR.jpg IMG_20201018_191445280.jpg IMG_20201018_191625461.jpg IMG_20201018_190246490.jpg

1971_MB1A

Nice bike. The air cleaner and element for those are pretty much the same on several other tecumseh engines also but be sure to get the correct looking style on the back side which should be able to be found fairly easy on here or ebay. I'd say manchester (Karen) on here for the seat. I'd take a compression test on it,file the points etc,put a $10 ebay re-pop carb on it and get it running to see how it does before tearing it down for restoration as it appears to not have been ridden too much therefore the engine may be fine pretty much just the way it is. If you need a front fender for it I probably have one of those. Good luck with your build.

Bbqman

Nice bike. The air cleaner and element for those are pretty much the same on several other tecumseh engines also but be sure to get the correct looking style on the back side which should be able to be found fairly easy on here or ebay. I'd say manchester (Karen) on here for the seat. I'd take a compression test on it,file the points etc,put a $10 ebay re-pop carb on it and get it running to see how it does before tearing it down for restoration as it appears to not have been ridden too much therefore the engine may be fine pretty much just the way it is. If you need a front fender for it I probably have one of those. Good luck with your build.
How do I get ahold of Manchester (Karen) for the seat? Thanks

Bbqman

Yep, what he said except I wouldn't give up on the stock gennie Tecumseh carb, I'd rebuild it or at least hold onto it, Chinese eBay carbs have been crappy lately and half the time you don't get what was pictured as far as fuel inlet.

Check this site out for original brochures and seat pictures...

http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/mtdinfo.htm
I got a rebuild kit for the carb. The thing was spotless inside. O-rings and seals shot but not gummed up at all.

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
YOU HAVE THE TWO HARDEST PARTS TO FIND WITH THIS BIKE. THE TANK AND GUARD. GOOD SCORE. AND WELCOME TO OldMiniBikes.

@manchester1 this will notify her that she's been mentioned in this post.

You can also send her a private message, and that will send an email to her, that she has a message.

She makes beautiful seats.

By the way @Bbqman welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

Bbqman

Hello, were you able to check on the fender? I have a red one, but chrome is correct. Let me know thanks

Bbqman

Were you able to see if you had a chrome front fender for it? Thanks