MTD Head Tube

So my MTD Trail-Flite has had a problem with the head tube since i got it. I suspect that the bike was previously crashed and repaired.
The headlight brackets were bent flat. The footpegs were collapsed, and there is some extra welding done on the head tube.
I noticed the forks were not very tight. I tightened the fork bolt, and the next day it was loose again. So i left it alone but over time it was obvious that the head tube is now banana-shaped.
They did a decent job on the repair, but i suspect that they used thinner than stock tubing. There is a visible wrinkle in the head tube and a straightedge shows that it is severely bent.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/AWzLoZ.jpg

Gonna get a short piece of DOM tubing of a thicker wall but same OD so that the bearings will fit. Cut out the old piece and TIG in the new piece.

I was wondering if anyone could take a measurement of the head tube in degrees? In relation to the top frame tubes being level?
If not i will just figure it out, thanks!

Also planning on beefing up the frame a little bit and the forks and swingarm so the shocks have 2 mounts instead of 1.

mustangfrank

So my MTD Trail-Flite has had a problem with the head tube since i got it. I suspect that the bike was previously crashed and repaired.
The headlight brackets were bent flat. The footpegs were collapsed, and there is some extra welding done on the head tube.
I noticed the forks were not very tight. I tightened the fork bolt, and the next day it was loose again. So i left it alone but over time it was obvious that the head tube is now banana-shaped.
They did a decent job on the repair, but i suspect that they used thinner than stock tubing. There is a visible wrinkle in the head tube and a straightedge shows that it is severely bent.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/AWzLoZ.jpg

Gonna get a short piece of DOM tubing of a thicker wall but same OD so that the bearings will fit. Cut out the old piece and TIG in the new piece.

I was wondering if anyone could take a measurement of the head tube in degrees? In relation to the top frame tubes being level?
If not i will just figure it out, thanks!

Also planning on beefing up the frame a little bit and the forks and swingarm so the shocks have 2 mounts instead of 1.
I can get to mine tomorrow if nobody else chimes in before then. We're talking about the 10" or 12" wheel, wonky fork MTD, correct?

mustangfrank

Yes, mine has both 10" wheels
Thank you!
28.5 degrees of rake, assuming top tube LEVEL.

Disclaimers: Mine is a roller on knobby tires. Was completely repeatable with the frame at true 90 degrees vertical. Top tube was at 3 degrees so I did manual measurement and ALT ZERO, both readings same.

Gave me a chance to drag out my digital protractor and verify the calibration!

IMG_20211229_115059.jpg IMG_20211229_113846.jpg

I think i have an old MTD frame i could cut the neck tube off and send it to you.
Thanks for the offer, but that is totally unnecessary. Very generous of you though! I appreciate it!
I'll just stick to the plan, i only need a short piece so it shouldn't be too bad.

kayde

Had too fix a Crack in the head tube on my mtd, luckily it wasn't that bad.
It did seem like thinner wall tubing than the rest of the bike.
I remembered this ad on the mtd thread figured might help you.

Attachments