MTD Trail Bike

Hello all, as the title states I am looking for some input on what brand of Mini bike this is.

I inherited it quite a few years ago and never had a reason to get it going.
Fast forward to now, and my son is asking if we can get it running.

This will need a complete overhaul and rebuild, which will be a good project to teach my son a few things and keep him off video games.
I am looking for help from the forum on what I have and also some insight on upgrades, especially disc brake setup.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

desert rat

I don't know what it is but I like it. Looks like your fix on the brake is to loose the spring on the pull cable, it should not be there. That band brake will work good. Looks like you have a complete mini to start with. Good score, welcome to the crazy train watch out for the rabbit hole in car three.

Lizardking

Welcome and look no further for mini bike information and help. Solid start with that Trail bike! No need to try to upgrade to disc brakes. Band brakes work great for these bikes. Get that engine and brakes working and ride! Prepare to buy more mini bikes because that bug bites hard!! :scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

Welcome. This is a great site. Have fun with your project. Be sure to post some photos of it in action when you get it running. That is the best chain guard that I've seen in a long time.

desert rat

Skip that about the spring not being right , it is right. That would be the return spring after I blew the picture up. I'm not sure from these pictures how the pull cable is working.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Looks like its a MTD brand. Thanks Cheezy1 for the Identification.

Good to know on the drum brakes. I will begin the break down process and see what is rebuildable and what will need replaced.

Are there any good places to get wheels / tires ? Or will Harbor Freight work fine ?

If the bike was mine I wouldn't change original wheels out. Keep your tires unless they have dry rot. They look like they still have plenty of life left.
Good information there. That is why I am here to learn about these mini bikes prior to discarding and throwing away possible items I would never be able to replace. The tires do hold air ( barely ) as they are almost rock hard from sitting for so long. They will need replacing. But the wheels/Hubs will stay after a good cleanup.

I can see how this rabbit hole works. I already found myself looking at many other options and Bikes.

I ordered 1" round bar dies for my tube bender in different radiuses just in case I needed to do frame repairs or additions.

This is proving to be a great site. You all are either great folks or enablers depending on how you look into this. :cool::cool:

Lizardking

I can see how this rabbit hole works. I already found myself looking at many other options and Bikes.

I ordered 1" round bar dies for my tube bender in different radiuses just in case I needed to do frame repairs or additions.

This is proving to be a great site. You all are either great folks or enablers depending on how you look into this. :cool::cool:
Wait till you ride it for the first time, you won't want to give it back to your son!! :scooter:

I do tend to enable.... lol

Ooh yeeaah, you just think he's an enabler... just wait till the others chime in... run... run for your life Now while you still can before you're trapped, addicted, cursed Consider yourself warned... (unlike me :p)

I'll save ya a seat n the Rabbit Hole in car three... lol :cool:

Yes don't throw parts out, way too hard to replace them when the time comes. I'd ride the tires till they softened up or cratered, so long as you're safe doin so. (Like they'll soften up! Lol)

I see that I came to the right place !! Thanks again to all that have chimed in.

You guys are great.

How big are the rabbit holes ? Should I rent an excavator ?
:cool::cool:

I see that I came to the right place !! Thanks again to all that have chimed in.

You guys are great.

How big are the rabbit holes ? Should I rent an excavator ?
:cool::cool:
From breadcrumbs to excavators there is no way out.

As you innocently scroll through all the posts, and look at all the beautiful examples of mini-dom, you will unknowingly be approached by the bug. You will only be bitten if you have the mini bike gene.

You don't always realize it until bitten. Once bitten, there is no turning back. :)

Last edited: