mtd trail flight

minibikefever

Like to get some info on the mtd triail flight mini bikes, are they worth restoring, what motors came on them, are parts easily available, not looking to make it a show bike but make it as close to right as I can within financial reason maybe paint, bearings and needs a headlight , it will get used, thanks for any info

I have one.
The headlight you might be able to find on ebay. Bearings are standard size.
I have the 653-2 model. It has a 4hp techumseh with the lighting coil.
Let me know if you have any more questions, and welcome to the group. :)

markus

the headlight that shows in the MTD products manual (363 and 364-600's and 650's) was a Peterson made headlight with dual toggles (off/on and high/low) they will be stamped on the back as AP4600, the earlier ones will be stamped PM711, they are the same as what companies like bonanza and others used, EXCEPT they are 2 post/side mount buckets. They had a pretty unique headlight ring and the switches can be hard to replicate so they get robbed of the guts for the single post buckets alot.....at least in my garage they do :p

They had a pretty cool numberplate for the non lighted bikes too, your dont see them much though.

minibikefever

the headlight that shows in the MTD products manual (363 and 364-600's and 650's) was a Peterson made headlight with dual toggles (off/on and high/low) they will be stamped on the back as AP4600, the earlier ones will be stamped PM711, they are the same as what companies like bonanza and others used, EXCEPT they are 2 post/side mount buckets. They had a pretty unique headlight ring and the switches can be hard to replicate so they get robbed of the guts for the single post buckets alot.....at least in my garage they do :p

They had a pretty cool numberplate for the non lighted bikes too, your dont see them much though.
Marcus, being new to the hobby I'm trying to accumulate some spare items, motors , parts whatever I come across before I find the bike that I want to go all out on, until then Im gonna throw a couple together that might not be 100% correct but respectable, so I picked up a couple motors tonight both are tecumsehs, one white 3.5 hp but the model is stamped on top of the shroud 143 724002 serial 3222 B the second is black 4hp no tag just a decal that states it is a HS40 55565M {B} displacement 4112 0 can you enlighten me on what I have and why are there no tags, I dont see where they were removed, no holes? just when I thought I was learning a little about them their gone lol I guess what Im asking Is are these mini bike material

cfh

The MTDs were 4 or 5 hp Tecumseh. The 3.5 you have is a Sears Craftsmen branded motor. Not that any of this matters. you can still have fun with the wrong motor! Personally i like 4 and 5 hp Tecumsehs for my bikes though. the 3 and 3.5 just don't get my big butt going very well. Any Tecumseh HS motor can be mini bike material. It just depends what it needs. if you post some pictures we can tell more. Without going into gory detail, generally you want a 3/4" PTO shaft. The other things you can modify pretty inexpensively. But pictures would really help a lot.

markus

I suspect you have the model number written incorrect for the sears, but that engine should be a 1983 if the serial number part is correct, the HS40 is a 1994. When the shrouds changed in the mid 1970's there was no longer room for metal tags in the front, so they did away with them. Thats when stamping the top of the shrouds started, that way went through into 80's and also into early 90's then they started to use decals. Yours is probably a long thin decal with the info on it, after around 1995 you see the big ugly decal showing the EPA compliance etc. as the normal decaling.

Neither of the engines came off a mini bike, so some conversion would be needed.

minibikefever

The MTDs were 4 or 5 hp Tecumseh. The 3.5 you have is a Sears Craftsmen branded motor. Not that any of this matters. you can still have fun with the wrong motor! Personally i like 4 and 5 hp Tecumsehs for my bikes though. the 3 and 3.5 just don't get my big butt going very well. Any Tecumseh HS motor can be mini bike material. It just depends what it needs. if you post some pictures we can tell more. Without going into gory detail, generally you want a 3/4" PTO shaft. The other things you can modify pretty inexpensively. But pictures would really help a lot.[/QUOTE I meant to post my question on the tecumseh thread but being new to the hobby and a slug on the computer I put it as a reply to my mtd question, the trail flight Im picking up has a 5hp on it and everything is supposed to be original , these motors that I picked up are going on miscellaneous projects , as soon as I learn how to submit photos I certainly will, the black 4hp is in a box disasembled , can i pull a number off the crank or the back of the flywheel?

minibikefever

I suspect you have the model number written incorrect for the sears, but that engine should be a 1983 if the serial number part is correct, the HS40 is a 1994. When the shrouds changed in the mid 1970's there was no longer room for metal tags in the front, so they did away with them. Thats when stamping the top of the shrouds started, that way went through into 80's and also into early 90's then they started to use decals. Yours is probably a long thin decal with the info on it, after around 1995 you see the big ugly decal showing the EPA compliance etc. as the normal decaling.

Neither of the engines came off a mini bike, so some conversion would be needed.
the 3.5 number was incorrect the model is 143 724022 ,well as long as they can be used with some modifications I guess its not a waste of money, I get a little excited with this new hobby and tend to pull the trigger a little fast, thank you for your knowledge

Welcome to the hobby , be careful on how much you spend on restoration, do it for you ! Very difficult to get out what you put in , just my 2 cents .

minibikefever

Welcome to the hobby , be careful on how much you spend on restoration, do it for you ! Very difficult to get out what you put in , just my 2 cents .
thanks for the welcome and the advice, I have done a couple of restores on different motorized projects that I spent too much on and didnt get back what I invested not including my time but had a good time doing it and ended up owning a couple items that I wanted for 40 years, that's why I'm downgrading to mini bikes, something I always liked,a little more affordable and can probably keep my marriage, lol , thanks again

minibikefever

Any updates with your MTD?
its been collecting dust for a couple months while I've been trying to put some responsibility behind me, just pulled it out yesterday to start completing it, its about 90%, I picked up a hs40 from member owend who also helped me with a lighting coil and flywheel, being my first build I jumped in so quick that I never thought about before and after photos but I guess the finish product will do, hope to be posting some pics by the end o the week, thanks for inquiring.

minibikefever

I appreciate the inquiry, I could use some advice on the clutch cover bracket in the front, the bike had a h50 on it when I took it over and the previous owner had a bracket going from the footpeg to the bottom of the cover that didnt belong there, I will make a bracket for top where one needs to be from the motor and the back location is already correct, my question being is there a bracket on the bottom or just the top and back mounting spots on that big cover?

To be honest, I never had the proper torque converter cover for my bike so I unfortunately I can’t answer your question.
You might want to contact member cfh he is very knowledgeable about these bikes.
I gave up trying to find an original cover and ended up making up something from Comet parts.
I know some bikes had a bracket on the foot peg but not sure if these bikes were set up that way.

RobertC
I deleted the pic because I didn’t want to hijack the thread either
But I appreciate the kind words!

Using the Comet backing plate and plastic cover requires quite a lot of trimming to both parts.
But this doesn’t help the OP so hopefully some one who has installed an original cover can respond