MTD Trike project

Here is my before picture of my Craigslist find. It's an unknown year MTD Columbia that's been modified to have a go kart rear end NO brakes! and a 125cc 5spd engine off a Honda dirt bike. This thing is setup currently as a drift trike but I plan on somewhat restoring it to normal. Obviously I'm not going for a spot on vintage recovery but I would like a lot of original parts where I can. I think I'm going to go with a predator engine but try to find an original seat and fuel tank. The only major project that I'm not familiar with is adding some sort of brake system to this thing. Obviously because of the trike conversion a scrub is out of the question and I'm not going with a front brake only. I'll just have to figure out whatever braking system a normal go kart uses. Lastly I can't decide on the color to with, I'm torn between green or purple. I'll figure that out later. Any input or ideas would be welcomed and I look forward to showing you guys some progress and finished pics.

Attachments

I really like the trike look, plus it'll be easier for my nieces and nephews to ride. I'm going to keep the go kart axle. I am looking to swap the engine so if anyone on here is interested let me know. I'll post it in the appropriate section in a bit

So I had finally had a few free hours to tear this down (almost anyway, just need to get the rear axle off) and hopefully this week I can take a blaster to the frame and strip it down to bare metal. I also have some cutting to do with all the custom brackets on this thing to accommodate the dirt bike engine. Once that's all done I can get an proper engine mount plate welded on and she should be ready to paint. I'm really hoping to have this done by end of August but here's to hoping haha. I still can't decide what color to go with. I'm kinda leaning to the taco purple but we'll see.

Attachments