mufflers etc.... ?

hey guys, im just starting to build a minibike. i stole a 8hp Tecumseh motor from my parents snowblower, thing is.. i want it to be *fairly* quiet (i know i know.. why?!?!) well. i live in the city and wanna troll around but not be heard from a half mile away.

what do you guys do for mufflers? are their any kits available? do the 49cc pocketbike pipes fit?

any help on the subject of mufflers/exhausts would be greatly appreciated.

also.. on the other side.. what kind of filters do you guys put on these things? from the factory there wasnt an airbox or anything (unless it was just missing?? hah)

thanks!!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There isn't a factory muffler already on it? Any aftermarket muffler setup will be much louder then the factory system.

To find stock components you should check out ebay. (air filter, muffler)

yeah i got the factory muffler. just thought there might be something better out there.

but also.. i was kinda suprised it didnt have an air cleaner. ohwell. i'll come up with something, and will post some pics along the way.

i may look into modifying a honda muffler. those are pretty quiet. but being a cheap person, i'll probably just run it with the stock one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mini

You can get a new muffler from the hardware store. They just screw in. Ruppparts is right most snow blowers didnt come with a air filter. He sells the filter setups, and all sorts of minibike parts.

Josh

yeah, it kinda looks like the one in the pic, except newer probably i think the snow blower was made in the mid 90's or so. its an tecumseh HMSK80.

ruppparts.. nice site!

Hey Mini

The engine in the pic looks like an hs40 or hs50 (4-5hp) The engine your going to use is alot bigger. Have you mocked it up to make sure it fits in your frame, and lines up with the sprocket? A jackshaft can help in all sorts of ways. You can use a 2 speed, change gearing, mount a torque converter, mount the sprocket on the other side of the wheel, decrease the chain lenght so it keeps it tighter. In the pic jesse isnt using the jackshaft. He just bypassed it.

Josh

Hey Mini

The engine in the pic looks like an hs40 or hs50 (4-5hp) The engine your going to use is alot bigger. Have you mocked it up to make sure it fits in your frame, and lines up with the sprocket? A jackshaft can help in all sorts of ways. You can use a 2 speed, change gearing, mount a torque converter, mount the sprocket on the other side of the wheel, decrease the chain lenght so it keeps it tighter. In the pic jesse isnt using the jackshaft. He just bypassed it.

Josh
its a hs50 and now i use the jackshaft

I was on a web-site not too long ago searching for parts. Don't remember the name, but they had mufflers for generators that were super quiet. Briggs makes them and a company I believe was called Super Trapp had a muffler with removable baffles. Try a word search.

I used to 'borrow' the engine off my dad's rototiller to put in my minibike when I was a kid...he only used it for about a weekend each spring to make the vegetable garden.

Man, was that tiller cool with the straight pipe and bright yellow engine...

I was on a web-site not too long ago searching for parts. Don't remember the name, but they had mufflers for generators that were super quiet. Briggs makes them and a company I believe was called Super Trapp had a muffler with removable baffles. Try a word search.

thanks for the info. i may look in to a supertrapp, i knew they made stuff for cars, wasnt aware of them for other engines.

65ShelbyClone

SuperTrapp makes silencers for just about anything that needs one short of commercial and heavy duty vehicles. If you want quiet, you HAVE to get one with the internal packing and the set of discs on the end. I had a fairly new one on an XR250 bike I used to have and it was a nice exhaust. My dad has one with blown-out packing on his XR600 and it is really loud. The Yoshimura straight-through silencer on my 600 is quieter and that's saying something.

EDIT:
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=35