Murray Track 2 info

capguncowboy

I picked up a Murray Track 2 in a trade the other night. I'm not really a fan of the newer bikes, but these have always intrigued me. I remember when Wal-Mart sold them back in the late 90s. It was a really good deal, so I grabbed it. Anyway, it's missing the band brake but the drum is there. It's also missing the clutch and guard. I never liked the plastic guards anyway, so I'm gonna put a custom aluminum guard on it and I've got a dozen clutches that have accumulated over the years.

Does anyone know off-hand, what size band brake is correct? I figured a 4" would work, but I tried the one I have and it's way too small. I had thought about doing a clutch-brake kit, but would prefer to keep it as close to stock set-up as I can

I figured the kids can ride this one and leave my vintage bikes alone :laugh:

Itype2slo

Don’t know about the brakes. But from what I’ve heard the seat spring is so tight you could be neutered going over a good bump. Good luck :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

Don’t know about the brakes. But from what I’ve heard the seat spring is so tight you could be neutered going over a good bump. Good luck :thumbsup:
:laugh: I don't want that. I need it! I don't want any more kids, but it's still fun to play with! I don't do a lot of offroad riding anyway, so I'm not too concerned about that. That spring is adjustable if I recall correctly. Does the adjustment not work right?

I used to have one.....As i recall the brakes off a right brothers gokart would work? Its been a while... Hope that helps.

Good solid bikes for being made in china, the rear sprocket is too big for my riding style but that's easy enough to change. They steer like a dream and ride OK but for off road riding they lack front suspension for me at least. I sold mine but I had so many bikes at the time I didn't miss it still don't but I'd buy another one if the chance came along. Just measure that drum but I think it's a 4.5" or 5" band, they stop well when adjusted right.

CarPlayLB

If you really want to stop, make an arm that goes from the frame to an L shaped bracket at the cable attachment point. That set up there will lock the tire with fine a$$ on it!

capguncowboy

I finally got my order from OldMiniBikes yesterday.

I took some time today to rig up the new brake, which turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. I'm not sure how it was set up originally, but I used a 5/16" bolt and a 1-1/4" spacer to set the band brake the right distance from the frame. [MENTION=31879]CarPlayLB[/MENTION] was dead-on for the band size of 4-3/4". Perfect fit.

I also ordered a new clutch. If this is gonna be a daily rider, I'd prefer it have a new heavy duty clutch on it, so I got the Hilliard HD. I've use this clutch on other bikes with great results and I love a good habit. I also installed a new length of chain too. I probably should do that more often. I used a clutch cover that [MENTION=46062]chipper[/MENTION] had made. It's pretty sweet. If this bike gets sold, that'll get removed before it leaves here. I like it that much.

So with everything bolted on and ready to rock, the bike got started up and taken for a test ride.

The brakes worked great at first but very quickly, everything went terribly wrong! I was coasting down one of the many steep hills in my neighborhood and was gaining too much speed, so I gave the brakes a little squeeze and... nothing. They didn't grab at all. I figured the clevis has slipped on the cable, but it hadn't. It turned out there was too much oil in the engine and it was spitting it out the oil breather. I had the filter off while I was tuning the carb so it just sprayed everything. Lucky me, I had flip-flops on, which it turns out aren't so great as brakes. Fortunately, I was able to coast to a safe stop and ride very slowly back to the garage.

Oil was on everything. It had coated the entire rear half of the bike. I drained the oil down to the right level, and cleaned the spray off everything... Ughh... I took the band off and cleaned it with degreaser. I bolted it back up and it works much better now :laugh:

So, now that I've got all the hard stuff done... Does anyone have a kickstand recommendation for this bike? I'd prefer an original stand, but I'd settle for whatever is clever.

Last edited:
Nice hear shes running , the kick stands are really long as they open up at a crazy angle , I can measure length of mine , I think about any old mini dirt bike kickstand could easily be modified to work .

CarPlayLB

CarPlay, could you please explain how that radius rod increases the brakes power? Detailed pictures would be helpful if you have them!
Sorry I don't have more pics. The rod stabilizes the whole mounting point. It is not real solid and there is a lot of flex. The fixed point is a smaller shoulder bolt through the frame. I added the bar to support the fixed point, which doubles as the cable guide. The rod simply reduced all the flex there and made a big difference [MENTION=54732]Mariah[/MENTION]

The rod stabilizes the whole mounting point.
Hey, I totally get that. You ran that rod forward instead of welding up a beefy transverse piece to the frame like I had to do on my band brake on my WB bike. I could have utilized an adjustable rod instead, and anchored it to the engine mount uprights. (West Bend mount for GKC)

Elegant solution.

capguncowboy

Yes, after adjusting the brake a few times, I can definitely see the reasoning behind the stabilizing rod. When you squeeze the brake, that 5/16" bolt moves. It's a very simple solution for a very real design flaw