Murray Track2 wont run

digging it out of the shed after 3 years sitting with gas in it still. won't start or do nothing. I am no mechanic. new to the forum as well. lend me some wise advice plz. 3.5hp tecumseh. how hard is it to put a new pull string on too?

drain and change oil?
new spark plug?
carb cleaner?
gunned up with ethanol sludge?

That's a good sign, that it fires up.

Sounds like it's still having trouble getting fuel.

Most likely things to me would be the carburetor, or the gas feed between tank and carb.

If feed from tank to carb seems OK, I'd suggest buying a $15 china carb off Amazon or ebay.

hose from tank to carb is old but doesn't seem to be leaking. took the air breather off/catalytic converter? and its clear. I found the carb screws. I'm going to take it off this weekend and blow it out.

hose from tank to carb is old but doesn't seem to be leaking. took the air breather off/catalytic converter? and its clear. I found the carb screws. I'm going to take it off this weekend and blow it out.
Need to disassemble the carb and clean all the pathways/ports/screens/floats/needle valves etc u-tube is your friend.

Purchase a rebuild kit and clean clean clean. some carb cleaner will assist you. Be safe handling chemicals. Note where your needle valves are set by counting the turns. When your done blow out the orifices you can find. Reassemble, add fresh Non-ethanol fuel or engineered fuel.
Have fun with it, its very rewarding when you win...:scooter:

River Rat Ron

People park their device with a small engine. It sets.
Eventually the fuel in the carb evaporates leaving the additives in the fuel.
These often resemble a chunk of crust left in the float bowl.
You then re fuel without cleaning this residue and you have a problem.
It doesn’t dissolve again it breaks into clumps, plugging the jets, metering galleys, idle circuits etc..

Last edited:
ok guys I give up. I took the carb off with a little trouble and drained the gas in it. took the bottom cap off. cleaned out any hole I saw. put it all back together. it will fire and idle but cuts off after 2secs. no response from throttle either in those 2-3secs?

any ideas before I take it to a small engine shop down the road and pay hundreds in repairs prob.