Muscle Bicycle....??

jeep4me

I spotted this vintage bicycle at a garage sale on my way home from work today.

I'm waiting on an answer as to whether or not their mom wants to sell it. Hopefully they'll call me tomorrow.

Looks like it's been used solely as an exercise bike it's entire life.

Last edited:
I've seen Murrays and Schwinn muscle bikes but never heard of a Thunderjet Barracuda. Member MurrayEliminator has a bunch and I believe he was on Pawn Stars asking some super crazy high prices on the same bikes you can get on Ebay for a mere fraction of what he was asking. They told him they were miles apart (more like universes) on the price and he left with them. May not have been him but his name was Edward and I think the above mentioned member goes by Eddie. This Thundejet is not as flashy but may be rare, but it could be a regional thing like my Flying 'O' MTD mini made for Oklahoma Tire And Supply or OTASCO as it was called.

Another neat find Jeep !

That seat is beautiful.

Look at the swoop of that bobbed rear fender, and the abbreviated front fender...spider bikes are so cool.

Keep in mind, if they go crazy on a price to you, the chain guard say's it's a 3 speed stick shift barracuda. So at some point someone removed the stick shift console, and the 3 speed rear hub/wheel, that more than likely had a 'racing slick' on it. Then replaced it with what looks like a later model, single speed hub, with an early, bmx kind of tire ?

Irregardless, it's nice to see a survivor spider bike !

Last edited:

jeep4me

I did end up with this bike. The sellers called me on Sunday afternoon and told me to come pick it up, if I was still interested.

I'll do some cleaning on it and possibly replace the back tire with a more correct one. What would be the best and safest way of cleaning this bike up? And removing some old latex paint spatter from the frame?

Doubt I could ever find the correct 3 speed shifter and hub for it, but I did get a tip for some info on these bikes from an OldMiniBikes member (Thanks D), so you never know.

jeep4me

I think this is kinda what it should look like.

And....I don't even think I would attempt to sit on this bike while it's up on the stand....only because it is kinda flimsy....

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Sweet find !

Your shopping List

1080 Rear cable brake caliper
Brake cable
Brake lever

3 speed stick shifter

2 " more correct " tires
1) 3 speed rear wheel