Muskin Dune Cat Find! (Help Needed!)

Aaaaaand i'm BACK!

Finally! I've got a real job now, so i can pour some money into this thing.
I have the extended body froma Keisler, and a new predator 224 motor from harbor freight.

I've cut some steel to size for a brand new frame, im using the frame from Keislers body they sent me as a reference.
I'm SO ready to start on this thing again!

we are not going to talk about the quality of some of these welds.

(Its been 7 years since i took my one year highschool welding class)

This is the progress i have on the new frame, hoping the rest of this steel decides to work with me

Ive got a new motor, and im basically reverse engineering the frame that Keisler sold me with the extended body.

Attachments

Ive got a torque converter and a Forward-Neutral-Reverse gearbox in the mail right now.

Looking at aftermarket rear axles because I cannot be bothered to build my own, and original one is completely shot, bearings are dust and the axle itself is half-ate by rust.

Looking at a Live axle kit from BMI Karts & Parts, anyone have good luck with them?

also picking up a few 3/4'' spindles for the front axle, I'll probably make my own front axle.

Trying to find a faithful recreation of the pedals, ive got the originals off and I cannot - for the life of me - find some that i wont have to make myself :rolleyes:

Does anyone know aftermarket pedals that would work with the body style? without changing too much on the mounting hardware for the frame?

I really dont want to fab them, mostly because I'm lazy, but I suppose I could try my hand at it if all else fails.

Attachments

Trying to find a faithful recreation of the pedals, ive got the originals off and I cannot - for the life of me - find some that i wont have to make myself :rolleyes:

Does anyone know aftermarket pedals that would work with the body style? without changing too much on the mounting hardware for the frame?

I really dont want to fab them, mostly because I'm lazy, but I suppose I could try my hand at it if all else fails.

I gave up looking for some that might work with them, and ended up fabricating my own, not too tough, just needed a die for the 3/8th rod for the pedals.

Still using the original foot pedals, my welding skill isnt great enough to make custom ones.

The threading is 16NC. I'm gonna be using grade 8 nuts for them, even though theyre a bit overkill.

Attachments

Trying to figure out if i want to buy a whole new rear axle with diff, or try and refurbish the old one into working order. I'm having a tough time getting the parts off the axle itself, the hubs are being tricky and im not too sure the best way to get them off.

the peerless differential on the axle is a MOD 141, its a 1 inch axle, and its beat to all hell. I'm not sure what would be easier, footing the bill for a whole new rear, or trying to get this one apart.

Got the axle apart, finally. took a significant amount of swearing and "impact" wrenching lol.

Got new bearings, flangettes, and got apart the diff to clean it. the poor thing hasnt been cleaned in probably 30+ years. ill be able to actually rebuild the rear axle.

Congratulations on your work so far. Look’n good so far. Might want to think about good springer spindles for the front. Granted they not a great suspension system but they do cut down on vibration and foam cover steering wheel helps too. Large v-tread tires with low pressure helps with the bumpy ride. Now that your axle differential is apart could you take a picture of the retainer clips that holds the axle from slipping out of the differential and post it. My differential is missing them and I don’t know what the original ones look like to replace. I have found 4 different styles to choose from.

Congratulations on your work so far. Look’n good so far. Might want to think about good springer spindles for the front. Granted they not a great suspension system but they do cut down on vibration and foam cover steering wheel helps too. Large v-tread tires with low pressure helps with the bumpy ride. Now that your axle differential is apart could you take a picture of the retainer clips that holds the axle from slipping out of the differential and post it. My differential is missing them and I don’t know what the original ones look like to replace. I have found 4 different styles to choose from.
absolutely, let me grab em.
for the spindles im just going with the cheapest amazon ones i could find, and running those.
along with a crappy rubberized wheel i found on there too.

Heres those retaining clips,
Original on the left, new ones i bought on the right, including the baggy they came in, there are four in a bag.
theyre external clips. metric m20 size.

the ones i grabbed at a local shop are just a little thinner.
the originals are 1/16th inch, the ones i found are 1/32nd. i can put two on and theyre rather tight. but it does the same thing.

Need any other photos of parts inside?

Attachments

Heres those retaining clips,
Original on the left, new ones i bought on the right, including the baggy they came in, there are four in a bag.
theyre external clips. metric m20 size.

the ones i grabbed at a local shop are just a little thinner.
the originals are 1/16th inch, the ones i found are 1/32nd. i can put two on and theyre rather tight. but it does the same thing.

Need any other photos of parts inside?

Onwards with fixing stuff, aswell, heres the wheel, spindles, and new tie rods, ive got more steering components coming in tomorrow and the third, hoping I can at least get this thing rolling before i leave for another year lol

Attachments

Thanks. No other pictures needed so far. If you weld the spindles on about 8 degrees tilted back towards the engine they will work fine. Then later if you want you can weld on an extension, add a longer bolt and spring to make a ‘home made springer spindles. Any place the fiberglass shell is bolted or resting on the frame add rubber washers or rubber padding to cut down on vibration. My son could only ride his cat for like an hour before he had to stop do to a bumpy vibrating ride. Did you add any extra layers or fiberglass to the weak spots underneath? Lots of pictures of dune cats on the web show cracks in the same spots.

Thanks. No other pictures needed so far. If you weld the spindles on about 8 degrees tilted back towards the engine they will work fine. Then later if you want you can weld on an extension, add a longer bolt and spring to make a ‘home made springer spindles. Any place the fiberglass shell is bolted or resting on the frame add rubber washers or rubber padding to cut down on vibration. My son could only ride his cat for like an hour before he had to stop do to a bumpy vibrating ride. Did you add any extra layers or fiberglass to the weak spots underneath? Lots of pictures of dune cats on the web show cracks in the same spots.
Havent even thought about that, ill probably end up doing that. also buffing the cusioning in the seat a fair bit. the original seems... thin, at best.

welding is definitely not my fortè, but I'll try my best to get it "Close enough"
:D

Does anyone have the measurements/layout of the rear motor mount assembly? im going to try to make my own, i dont want to harvest one of the two i have, theyre both in rough condition.
I know the steel theyre on is 1/8th thick, but im not sure how large the "box" is before they folded it into shape.

I'm also headed to a shop in witchita that specializes in karts and mowers and the like, they said removing the axle bearings would be a little tough,
but i managed to get all but the hubs off with a hammer and a scrap piece of wood.

Ill probably pick up some weldable flangettes/flanges while im there too, they might also have drive sprockets and chains i can get aswell. they should.

Last edited: