Mustang Trail Machine- Looking for Restorer

I am looking for an individual or shop, located in Arizona, who had restored (within the past few years) a 1961 Mustang Trail Machine with an 8.5HP B&S. Sound familiar to anyone here? I know little about these Mustangs but it appears a 5.75HP B&S was OE so this fully-refinished example is a little odd.

Last edited:
I have one of these..I purchased in 1961..hasnt been ridden since 1964.. college, then drafted, etc..so it was.shedded. It is all original..not sure of the HP but the B&S model number is 143330. I just took this pic this evening..Hope this helps. My email is rlaceybeef@aol.com. I live in Montana..be happy to help you with some answers. There's a broker in Cal who knows a lot about Mustangs. There are very few of these. They were a much improved type of ToteGote for the time and were smoked by the Honda Trail 90's. I loved every moment on mine..but now 73. My only regret is that I added the red paint..but it can be restored..if the B&S parts, decals are available for that model. It was running when I stored it here so many years ago.

Attachments

Wow that is a cool bike!
Very cool..and absolutely rare. Nearly 60 yrs later..I finally learn it was only produced for two years..in very limited quantities. It was so much superior to the heretofore functional, but 'no suspension' Tote Gote used for hunting or ranch work in Montana where I was raised. I got it when I was a sophomore in high school..so kewl!

Attachments

I am looking for an individual or shop, located in Arizona, who had restored (within the past few years) a 1961 Mustang Trail Machine with an 8.5HP B&S. Sound familiar to anyone here? I know little about these Mustangs but it appears a 5.75HP B&S was OE so this fully-refinished example is a little odd.
Wow..8.5..I'm sure the original which I have..unrestored..was like all others..the 5.75. Probably because of the difficulty of finding an original..or parts to overhaul the 5.75. I havent tried to search for parts, not sure if mine needs any..I'll find out if I try a rebuild.

I'd love to find that individual or shop..do you have a pic of the restored bike?