Mutt chopper build

jspbtown

Well this was a massive mutt when I got it. 1" tubes were simply slid onto the 7/8" fork tubes that were terribly bent. The neck was cut and welded at a terrible angle. No jackshaft. No brake. No engine. But it had a nice seat!

Took the two stubby existing front forks off and welded in new 7/8" .120 steel tube. Bought a 7/8"ID x1"OD plastic tube as a sleeve for the front forks. Got a spring set with chrome springs and 4 spring cops which will be added to provide some suspension. Cut off the next and repositioned it. Added in some neck gusseting.

Stripped all the paint. Cut off the brake bracket (will go with a clutch brake). Replaced the tubes that help support the seat. Finished welding the rear tire mount. Got some ape hangers.

Next steps:
Mount the front fork spring cups
Create adjustable jackshaft
Mount the new kick stand (it didn't have one)
Mount foot peg tube
Sandblast rims for paint
Body filler the welds
Epoxy prime, high build, and plum metallic paint

Overall plan:

Chrome sissy bar
Chrome fenders
Plum metallic paint
Larger rear tire
Predator 212 motor

Should b a fun toy for someone. neck.jpg Forks2.jpg tree.jpg Forks.jpg front rough.jpg back side rough.jpg supports rough.jpg side rough.jpg

jspbtown

Got the front suspension done today. Checked the fitment of the new larger rear tire and thats a go. Also test fitted the sissy bar and I think I have a good way to mount it. Just waiting for that silly jackshaft kit to get it all into primer

jspbtown

Well the bodywork is all done and I got some high build primer on it. Just need to get a warmer day or two so I can get the epoxy primer, base coat (plum metallic) and clearcoat on it. I have a shop heater so I can pretty much "bake" the paint but the single digits are just too cold right now.

Hopefully in the next week or so I can get into the 30s and do some painting.

Well small setback today. The jackshaft kit I bought placed the sprocket which goes to the rear wheel too close to the plate that goes between the two bearing carriers. It caused my chain to rub on that plate. Bummer...it was all painted.

Cut the two bearing carriers off, made a new plate and used 3/8" square stock to lift the carriers off the plate. Now I just have to heat the garage up again and get it primed and painted.

Argh....

Jackshaft all fixed. New Predator has been installed....its a tight fit!

One thing I did realize was that the little kickstand kit I bought (weld on...about 6" long) is easily 6" too short. Looks like I will have to cut it in half and extend it a good amount. So much that I didn't think of as I was welding thing....