My 1974 Alsport Tri-Sport SL 290 Project

Greetings all
I hope to chronicle the purchase, renovation / restoration of my trike on these pages. I have wanted one of these things every since I first saw one in Wenatchee Washington in 1975. My girlfriend (now wife) and I were driving past a RV dealership and saw them in the parking lot and I was hooked. Being 19 and poor there was not one in my immediate future though.
Fast forward 35 years and I'm looking on Craig's list for a good deal on a used bike so I can ride with the 20 somethings I work with, and lo and behold on the Yakima Craig's list I see a 1974 tri sport, and it looks fairly complete!!. So I called the owner and after some haggling (he wanted $1500.00 for it I got it for 700 and a 9mm pistol that i traded a used laptop for so my total cost was $756.00). After I picked it up I took it to work to store it and the children I worked with have never seen anything like it, and they immediately were bugging me to ride it but it had no working back brakes and no kill swithces or lights but the former owner did say it ran. so after cleaning a suitable spot out in my garage It was time to take it home So I told the guys to bring it to the maintnance shop and we would take it out for a spin. Well we adjusted the front brake so it had some stopping power and put some 40:1 in it and off we went.Now as you will see in the photos this vehicle has had the origional rupp 390 replaced my a yamaha 440 and the previous owner installed streight pipes with some kind of megaphone / muffler so this thing was loud!!. as the engine sprang to life it was cutting in and out on 1 cylinder so it got off to a slow start then after about 20 seconds at 30 mph or so the second cylinder came back and I decided to drop the hammer and holy s**t that thing really flies having very little brakes i backed off of the throttle came back to the shop gave my co workers a try at it and then loaded it on the truck.
As we were loading it up I noticed a fuel leak and discovered that I was missing a gas tank support and the secondary clutch had rubben into my one of a kind irreplacable fuel tank. a trip to napa yeilded a rv water tank patching kit that had the fuel tank fixed in no time. So of course another test drive was called for but alad we found that the clutch was not releasing complete so we could not get the engine started with out the vehicle moving so I just took it home.
The first order of buisness was to fix the clutch and find out what other parts I needed I discovered I wqs missing the seat cover and headrest and a speedometer So I am off to find some leads on these parts. below are the before pix of my project

Last edited:
TriSport Project

Hello,
Just came across your post about the TriSport 290. Looks like a really neat project, still working on it? I have a 340cc version that suffered the same fate with its gas tank. Ended up having a custom one made from stainless steel by a local metal fabrication shop. Made one change to its design and left out the portion that can be worn out by the pulley. I am really interested in seeing some pictures of the replacement engine within your vehicle. Is it a two stroke or four? Did it come from a snowmobile or a motorcycle? If you need some pictures to assist with your project, just let me know.

Good luck with your project...
Ray

Update :

First of all the engine is from a 1978 yamaha snowmobile. I have had excellent luck aquiring replacement and missing parts. So far I have aquired a new old stock headrest, seat cover, and a speedometer. Also I just recieved 2 brand new rear fenders fenders I will try to post pictures of these items soon. I am also contemplating swapping the engine for a liquid cooled kohler 440 thats all for now

More new parts

Hello all
I have let life overtake my trisport resto but I am still acquiring parts I finally got a NOS speedo and Upholstery, 2 brand new rear fenders and a new factory storage cover and a factory safety kit for the swing arm brace. Ive got a line on a set of factory foot boards and I still need a set of stock hand controllers and mirrors. my goal is to be riding by spring :smile:

Triking in Style

Hello all
I have let life overtake my trisport resto but I am still acquiring parts I finally got a NOS speedo and Upholstery, 2 brand new rear fenders and a new factory storage cover and a factory safety kit for the swing arm brace. Ive got a line on a set of factory foot boards and I still need a set of stock hand controllers and mirrors. my goal is to be riding by spring :smile:
Your going to have a ball riding all over Moses Lake. The looks you get is the best part and people just can't help looking at the trike.
Steve :scooter:

UPDATE !!!
I just acquired a donor snowmobile for my Alsport re power a 1988 Skidoo with a 583 liquid cooled motor supposedly 120 hp manual start but electric start is available runs great has anyone done this re power and if so what problems did you run into
jeff

Another Update ;)
Between Life and several illnesses I have had to put the trike on the back burner but I have re-started my resto project I donated my ski doo engine to another project but just found a wrecked 1995 polaris 500 fuel injected electric start sled that starts and runs great i am going to get the engine and start the fab work involved with integrating the engine into my trike. I will also install the allsport safety mod and also weld the hub plates to the hub a full 360 degrees. I will also embark on construction of a custom wiring harness. I will be abandoning the stock fuel tank for a stainless drag style tank. I am also pondering where to put the radiator, i am going to explore rear mounting it in the fuel tank area. of 2 small dirt bile radiators mounted behind the oem air intakes any input would be appriciatred

got the 500 Polaris home when i went to get it I found out it was not electric start but it started and ran with 2 pulls and, the motor is convertible to electric start and this week I found another donor sled with a blown motor that has electric start so onward with the project, I am going to grab the sled this weekend and install the electric start cpmponents into my running motor before I remove the runner from the sled

Got the electric start Polaris indy last friday stripped any usefull spare parts and the starter and primary clutch off of the donor sled and discarded the carcass. My plan is to now convert the running donor sled to electric start and test it in the sled then ill remove the motor and start installing it in the trike.