My 60$ race bike challenge

Hello everyone just figured I’d start a thread on my next build. I’ve been wanting to try and build a really nice race bike for as cheap as humanly possible. In order to do that I had to do some wheeling and dealing which came out t my advantage after the headache haha. I first purchased a 60$ calkart invader Mini bike that had a snowblower motor on it and barely ran from OfferUp. I then traded it to a guy for a motovox kids go kart with that little 80cc motor. Sold that real quick for $400 so it gave me a 400$ budget to build a bike!(which all came from the original $60) I then picked up this really clean doodle bug roller with nice wheels and tires for 180, received a free predator block that a friend wasn’t using because I’m gonna be rebuilding it anyway. Hopefully I can achieve some serious speed with everything I’m planning on doing to it. I’ll post more pics along the way as it progresses. I’ve got about $200 to spend on upgrades might throw in another $100 but I’ll try to keep it cheap haha

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
Nice start. Should be able to build a good motor for a couple hundred bucks. The expensive part is the clutch or tav you buy. I will keep an eye on this build.

I think I’m gonna go with that purple just clean it I believe I know what paint was used. I think it’s the duplicolor paint. I’m gonna go clutch because I’m after more top end than low end like the tav. Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks for checking it out. I’ll post pics of receipts and what not too so everyone can see how cheap we can build! Lol

Daniel Coop

LMAO! That bike was at my house being offered to me as a trade for labor to do some work on a mutual friends bike for $100... I passed on it because the motor plate was butchered from the previous idiot not knowing how to mount that ridiculous big block. The back wheel had bolts sheared off on both hubs holding the sprocket and rotor to the wheel and shit was moved around to accommodate the larger wheels and tires and the welds were not the best. To top it all off, it had a horrible rattle can paint job. He must have taken it straight to you after I said I wasn't interested. Funniest part is, this is the bike that was supposed to race and beat my "Po' White Trash" DB that dude never showed up for the race with. So you say 60, but it's not 60. We all wheel and deal man. Most my bikes were built by the sales of other bikes, parts or builds. Other folks money. But don't mean I didn't spend it.

Daniel Coop

Started out as a cool conceptual build, but was never finished and passed through too many dummies hands, who all had their ways with it...
Definitely interested to see if you can do anything with it. I think those big wheels will eat a centrifugal clutch. Most clutches ain't meant to turn more than a 13" diameter wheel. Might have to go torque converter

Last edited:
All of those problems are super fixable and take maybe 30-45 mins total of time. 60$ is what came out of my hard earned money and I’m showing how far I can stretch it. How about you do the same 60$ challenge and let’s see what you come up with. You can wheel and deal as well let’s see!! Or are you too good for the 60$ challenge with your fancy bikes man.

Daniel Coop

I'm good bro, but thanks. I just don't have the time to search out and beat everyone else out here to the cheapest deals and just prefer buying new parts 90% of the time. Like I said man, to each his own. Some folks just have bigger budgets to work with. Just a lot of coincidences/circumstance with that particular bike is why I found it so amusing.

Finally got some time to start prepping this frame. Managed to soak It in aircraft remover and got it back to bare metal. Fixed some ugly welds and painting it up today

We now have front and rear brakes. Also welded some washers to the front forks for axle support. The axle was too small for the tabs being hat the wheels came from a pocket bike. New axle bolt in there as well.

How will you mount the engine? I cleaned up and re-slotted a pretty terribly mangled one, I used a piece of copper to back up the holes then filled em and made the proper slots so chain adjustment would be easy.

Before:

After:

Last edited:
That looks pretty good. I’m wondering if I want to replace the entire motor plate (cut and weld) but I’ll probably just buy a motor plate to clover it up and give me the adjustability I need. Would look good too.

I’m trying to find the balance between it all. I feel like using quality parts is going to keep reliability as high as possible even though I feel like I’m always fixing something on my bikes and karts lol cheap is the objective but no sweat if it goes over budget. Fast is a must and the real objective. I don’t want it to look like crap either though.