My 72 scrambler

kayde

Heres is my scrambler i picked up 2 yrs ago.

Its been awhile but finally all cleaned up and running now.

I need a new belt as this original rupp belt is worn and i dont see any #'s on anymore.
The drive system is all oe symeterical rupp stuff.

Anyone cross ref rupp belts to another brand or part # that i might be able to find local.

Or links too decently priced belts.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

kayde

Thanks guys, gonna see if i cant find a gates belt locally before i order one.

I must say this scrambler is so much more fun too ride than any of the roadsters i put together.

I've ran a full tank through it already just lapping a lumpy field behind town.

I think these internal spring forks feel more positive than the older external style. Combined with the new adjustable shocks and being very a nil about tolerances while putting the bike together paid off for a very tight and agile bike.

I never did like the tall looking seat cushions, im gonna try my best to make a decent looking thinner cover.

The rupp trials tires seem too be a good overall on/off road tire but definitely lacked some traction in the lower mucky areas.

kayde

Its been awhile since i played around with my scrambler as i was focused on my t555 project.
But i managed sometime too clean it up a lil' and make a few minor changes.

I never intended to do a true restoration even though it couldve been a easy restore ,but thats been done many times, and im not out for resale value or too please the purist/collectors...just myself:p lol!

I still need too install the seat cover snaps and mount the converter cover.

I cut a new piece of seat foam from some firmer different type of foam instead of the sofa cushion foam rupp used, i had expressed awhile ago i didnt care for the original "tall" looking seats on rupps that are usually taller than the tank,
so this piece is about half the thickness of the original foam but it is firmer and way better feeling on my sensitive diminished glutes.

Im gonna fold the edges of the cover about 1- 1 1/2" and install the snaps through the double layer of material.
Hopefully once the cover is pulled taught the top of the seat ends up just below the tank seam.

I went around and blasted clean and polished up various dodads on the bike.
After much personal debate over color choice, i finally settled on chevy orange...yes im a diehard.
I wanted something that was kinda brite but not blinding.
A mellow yellow was my second choice.

I followed previous advice and installed a new gates belt, thank you all for that advice.
Also installed a new pin style 11 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft, that was much needed.

Kinda modified the rear fender plate bracket, drilled out the holes, cut it shorter, narrower and cut off the plate holes. I would've never put a plate on it anyway.

In my earlier pics i had what i think is a oe black widow pipe on it with what im gonna call a manifold/ flange peice i made from scraps.
I decided to kinda duplicate that pipe but in a larger diameter.
I put a few extra bends in it too follow the seat pan better and give me a little bit of extra fender clearance since i shortened the plate bracket and a tweak up front too clear the fuel line a little better.
The manifold/adapter peice was the toughest one i made yet as you can see its much bigger than the one i had on for the bw pipe.
That one matched the port exactly, the new one is slightly larger than the port that was previously opened up and polished out.
I also kinda generically safety wired the bolts on the flange too keep them from coming loose and blowing the gasket out.

Im keeping a eye open for more aggressive tires too keep the mx look going once i find some im gonna break the wheels down again for a good going over.

I had it out last weekend for a buzz around get it back into tune and verify everything was working properly and after a bit of carb tweaking, i hit a max of 40 mph on a straight flat road , but i really feel like there is a bit more in this little hs50.

From a dead start it certainly leaves my trike in the dust until around 25-30 mph then the trike just blazes past like the bike is sitting still lol.

Its funny while racing the scrambler and trike, the bike pulls way ahead and its crackling high exhaust note blasting away like its running for its life,
Once the trike catches up its deep pounding exhaust note just stomps all over the lil' hs50's crackle until your just past the bike and cant even hear it anymore.

Like the poor little bike is being chased down by a thunderous tire humming monster. :D

Attachments

kayde

Some before pics.

And my trike.

The red 70 was a bike i resurrected and put togther a few yrs ago.
This scrambler is SO much more better feeling in all around perfomance than that ole 70.
The 70 felt heavy, slow ,janky and just not performance oriented like this scrambler feels, its a smooth,solid,tight ,quick and very nimble well balanced bike.
Maybe it was just me but
I had too
send that red 70 down the road.

I have a choice of either another 70 or a 71 for my next build, but after that last 70 build im gonna kick myself if it feels the same way that one did.

Attachments