My Baja MB165 Build

A few weeks ago I purchased a Baja Warrior and quickly joined this site. Up until I bought the Warrior I only built cars and go karts. Now I have 5 mini bikes. Like many of you I caught the fever :)

Here is my mb165. It is still in progress. It is a “LEEP” serial bike. I took it down to the frame. Painted it with 3 coTs matte and 3 coats clear. New wheels. New Tires. New sprocket and drum brake. The pegs were missing and square tubing was welded on by previous owner. I purchased aluminum 1/8” wall square tubing that I friction fit over the steel to give me the peg length I wanted.

New triple tree and stem bearings. New shocks (not installed yet).

Engine will be a predator non hemi with billet goodness. Still debating the billet sidecover. Head will be ported and shaved. Piston will be replaced with a flat-top.

Honda rebel tank ordered thanks to y’all.

Should be a rowdy and fun bike when it’s done.

Pictures from when I bought it and the progress as of today.

Attachments

let me know how the oem tank fits! save me from doing the frame stretch. whick i may have already decided to go with the deep tunnel peanut tank.

funny thing.....i just pulled the same backyard flex pipe engineered header off the bike im in the process of building.

Well the tank came in. Looks like the seller was a liar as the tank is huge. With the tank touching the headsten it still extends past the rear seat bolt area. What a waste.

Well the tank came in. Looks like the seller was a liar as the tank is huge. With the tank touching the headsten it still extends past the rear seat bolt area. What a waste.
is the tank narrow at the back or wide? its the only visible differences i can see in the tanks. i know the wide one is the larger. not sure about the narrow one but im starting to get the feeling either is too big since the mounting point on the tanks are the same. if yours is the narrow version we can scratch that one as a fit.

this tank is narrow - ???
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=113315153631

this tank is wide- wont fit
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=113591044888

I like you recently got back into mini bikes back in may or so, I have 9 now and about 8 engines lol So I know about the addiction. My plans for the baja heat I got were to weld on a bicycle seat post, maybe even make it so it slides into the rear frame support so its height adjustable and use a nice spring suspended beach cruiser saddle. Might be a way to get a nicer ride and fit your tank without frame mods. I plan to get a chineese knock off classic triumph tank for mine eventually. I think it will have the proper dimensions and will sit lower on the frame so it looks "right" to me. I have seen the stock sporty tanks used on them and to me they sit a bit too high to me. I have that image of steve mcqueen jumpin the country hillsides from the great escape when I look at my baja heat, so that may be the direction I go in. I did pick up a gx270 for it yesterday, so it should have plenty of torque. here's the tank I think i'm gonna use, there is a cheaper version without the pads if those aren't your thing.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=192771956154

Think it’s the narrow style. The Frisco tank will work, but the one you linked that sits really low will cause problems as once on the bike the front of the tank will be lower than the petcock and you won’t use the full fuel. The mid rise he sells is what you want. I guess I’ll have to go that route as well. I was trying to avoid the expense and save the money but too late for that. Hopefully someone will buy this tank locally for $50 or so.

Attachments

Still debating the billet sidecover.
Do it, they look awesome. Stud kits won't work with them, you need to use the hardware provided.

I have one on my Stage 2 212 Predator build. Still "needs" more power so it'll be getting more mods after I finish a few other mini bike projects I have in the works. It's good for now. As it sits in the pic, it should be good for 65-70mph if it can pull the RPM the cam can do. I don't trust the tires at those speeds nor do I like the chain tensioner setup, which is getting redone one of these days. For making a ton of noise doing 40mph it's fun though (that's about where I sissy out with those tires).

Last edited: