My Bonanza 2 speed project but I think I screwed up

125ccCrazy

Duh Me!!! I been working on this lil project since winter on and off, I stretched the jackshaft brackets approx 1.5" so I could fit a Comet 2 speed in there and clear the swingarm.... Ok that went fine... I sat the frame aside and built the engine, 5hp Gold I/C, precision cam, arc rod, 3hp alum flywheel, milled head, modified Horstman intake, vm22mm mikuni carb, ported and polished, hd valve springs, locks, retainers... I modified a 3hp tank and bracket to fit the 5hp... That all went good.... Now the troubling part... (1) I ddnt test fit the tank to the frame so the gas cap is under the top frame bars....:censure:.....I can unscrew the cap but I'll have to fill the tank with a funnel....:doah:...... (2)The other problem is I didnt test fit the engine to the frame with the 2 speed, I'll have to set the engine off to the right side slots in the frame so the clutches line up because this I/C has a longer crank with a wide step between the clutch and side cover resulting in the recoil pertruding over the right foot peg....

Here are my options that I can think of..

(A) Use a standard clutch and single gear on the JS so I can set the engine to the left more
(B) Put a different engine like a clone or a 3hp Briggs on the bike with the 2 speed
(c) Run it like it is and deal with the tank and offset on the engine

Any suggestions will be welcomed.. but please done give me :001_9898: because I modded the frame... I actually did this bike a favor, it was a Rotting pos when I got it......

I would run it w/the motor set where you have it. I won't give you any crap for modding the frame, because it wasn't major....can be reversed later.

Is it OK to give you shit for not test fitting??:doah:

125ccCrazy

I would run it w/the motor set where you have it. I won't give you any crap for modding the frame, because it wasn't major....can be reversed later.

Is it OK to give you shit for not test fitting??:doah:
Yeah I guess I have that one coming LOL... I never gave it any thought about the step on the crank or the gas cap location :doah:

bandit 40

Nice job Randi!!:thumbsup: Yes that was an improvement for that frame , because of its (storage in doors ) all these years lol what was that guy thinking :eek:ut: oh well.

125ccCrazy

Nice job Randi!!:thumbsup: Yes that was an improvement for that frame , because of its (storage in doors ) all these years lol what was that guy thinking :eek:ut: oh well.
Thanks Mark,, yeah you know how rough it was LOL... that guy bs'd us a good one on those two bikes.... She's coming along now slowly but surely...

125cc,

Nice job! I've been thinking about doing the exact same 2spd set up on a Bonanza! Consider cutting & rewelding the tank mount bracket top flange left or right to off set the cap a little--I've done that with a Tecumseh, but not a Briggs, tho; check into a different tank also for a possible fix. I'm a Tecumseh guy, but your Briggs looks FAST sitting still! :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

125cc,

Nice job! I've been thinking about doing the exact same 2spd set up on a Bonanza! Consider cutting & rewelding the tank mount bracket top flange left or right to off set the cap a little--I've done that with a Tecumseh, but not a Briggs, tho; check into a different tank also for a possible fix. I'm a Tecumseh guy, but your Briggs looks FAST sitting still! :thumbsup:
the 2 speed conversion was easy and looks like it could have came like this..

I may have to look at modding this other 3hp bracket...

I hope it's a runner, definately should be better than stock...:thumbsup:

Why didn't you go with the two-speed manual shift setup ? Like Bonanza did.

I already had this 2 speed setting collecting dust waiting for an application plus I don't have the $$$ to pay for what a nice unmolested orig 2 speed would go for...

I think you're OK with the set up as is, but if you wanted to, you could relocate the foot peg U brackets a few inches forward on the frame. (Remember, on the BC 1200s, the foot pegs are way up at the first bend on the lower frame tube... and they work just fine in that position.)

Nice looking project so far.

mardyn

Here is what you should do, scrap the tank idea and find a round tank mount it under the seat. Or get another tank that has the gas cap on the outside like some tecumseh tanks i have seen. The rest looks great! I like the carb and intake your using! where did you get it?

125ccCrazy

just slid the 2 speed gears over to line up,that is what i did on my mtd bike
With the engine to the right side the gears lining up isn't a problem but if I slide the engine over to the left slots so the engine is centered on the frame the double gears won't line up as the 2 speed can't slide far enough to the left, the only way to center the engine is to go back to a single gear set up bewteen the engine and jackshaft..

I think you're OK with the set up as is, but if you wanted to, you could relocate the foot peg U brackets a few inches forward on the frame. (Remember, on the BC 1200s, the foot pegs are way up at the first bend on the lower frame tube... and they work just fine in that position.)

Nice looking project so far.

mardyn
I could either move them or maybe just make the right side a bit longer?? I'll have to put the peg on the bike and see how it looks and feels... I kinda like them in the middle of the frame, for me it's more comfortable and stable then with the forward mounted pegs..

Thanks for the compliment... it's been a fun project so far..

Here is what you should do, scrap the tank idea and find a round tank mount it under the seat. Or get another tank that has the gas cap on the outside like some tecumseh tanks i have seen. The rest looks great! I like the carb and intake your using! where did you get it?

If I could come across the right round style tank without taking out a second mortgage I'd definately go that route.... I could use a Tec tank but I don't really care for the looks of the plastic unless it's new and clean....

The Intake came off of an Old race kart 5hp...I filled the old bolt holes and then drilled and retapped the intake for the Mikuni carb... originally the intake was set up for a big Tilly... I had the carb for a few years...it's a VM22

Can you drop the engine plate 1/2"? I had to do that on mine to get the cap off. Take a ruler and see if the engine cap will remove easier with the plate lower? A funnel is fine. Most gas cans have spouts. No, I am not calling you a dumb dumb.. Bet you feel like a professional novice. I know my limititations.. Do you at your age??? At 50 things change, hire a engine builder like me and relax on the beach with a nice view....:doah:

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE, FELLA!

TT OUT!

Yes, I noticed the pull starter is in the way...Do I hear drill starter?

george3

Make the dam tank bracket a flat straight one, prob. solved. As for the two speed, why didnt you run a direct torque converter on the jack shaft.

125ccCrazy

Make the dam tank bracket a flat straight one, prob. solved. As for the two speed, why didnt you run a direct torque converter on the jack shaft.
The tank is not a big issue, I just should have just fitted it first but I wasn't thinking about the cap location at the time, making a flat bracket is a piece of cake, I have plenty of 3/16 flat plate... My biggest concern is the engine location, if I set the eng to the right the recoil overhangs the peg, if I set the eng to the left the clutch overhangs the left peg, it's a no win situation with this engine due to the wide step on the crank..

Why didn't I use a TC??..The only way you can use a tc on this frame without using a Tav2 is to put the driven clutch on the outside of the frame since there is no room between the JS and the eng plate for one and besides just like the way the orig 2 speeds came, all that clutch assem sticking way out past the frame, you'd have to ride bull legged :thumbdown:..
I have a 4"x8.5" round tank for it for the $50 I have into it. It has no cap.
Tom, Thanks for the offer on that tank, I'll let you know about that...... Trying to sell some extra stuff I have to get some more bike money....

george3

That is the way mine is. on the outside. 1410TC the pegs are longer. I looked at the pic again you have the short jack shaft mounts. wont work.

125ccCrazy

That is the way mine is. on the outside. 1410TC the pegs are longer. I looked at the pic again you have the short jack shaft mounts. wont work.
I have a new MT driver and driven I was gonna try and use but the driven just wouldnt fit without really hacking the engine plate or raising the plates.... I been curious for a few years now how this 2 speed would work and thought the bonanza would make a nice canidate...

I reworked my gas tank mount, cut about 3/4" out of it so it will lower the tank, This will give me a little more clearance for the gas fill.....I'd rather have a Hodaka tank or a nice chrome tank for under the seat but for now this one will work okay....

125ccCrazy

Hey 125cc,

I thought you were a welder. Surely you could cap off a section of 4 or 5 inch pipe, eh?

Here are some nice aluminum tanks. Every great once in a while, one will pop up on ePay in the $45 to $55 range. harperracing.com - Quarter Midget Parts and Supplies

Cool looking project! I want to try out one of those two-speed Jack-Shafts myself one of these days.
I wouldn't call myself a welder, I can make things stick together LOL...

Those tanks are sweet, I'd definately like to get one but $100+ just isn't in the cards at this time..... I have an idea for a round tube tank, just gotta get the stuff I need to put it together...