my doodlebug 2.8 wussmachine spews oil

has anyone else had their doodle bug drip tons of oil from the air filter? I am quite sure it is coming from the crank breather that connnects to the filter housing with a rubber hose.
Is there a reason the filter foam needs to be totally soaked in oil enough to drip all over the place?
Anyone have a fix for this? I thought of just plugging the hole for the breather but I don't like that idea so much because I don't want increased crankcase pressure sucking my already lame 2.8hp.

my old 2.8 used to do that to but only when I was goin over rough terrain, maybe you could come up with some kind of catch can like the gokart track racers use.

Oldsalt

Don't plug the hose. That will lead to excess crankcase pressure which can force oil past the crank seals and etc. Just vent the hose to the world. If it drips a little oil stop parking it on the cement so you don't notice it so much. You ain't been reving that motor beyond what it was designed for have ya?

Don

I have two that don't do that and we bypassed the governors and beat the hell out of the poor little bikes- in the woods, over jumps!

Last edited:

den35

I personally wasn't happy with the lack of power on the stock 97cc engine.Nothing mechanically wrong with it,I think.Just not up to the job for me.
Hence why I'm dropping a 5.5hp clone into mine.And the stock engine will go into a later project for my little ones.

I would have to agree with richs. It sounds like improper ring gap placement to me. That seems like the most logical answer. If that were the case, you could surely expect to see excess crankcase pressure venting through the breather, blowing oil all over the place. I suggest you have it corrected under
warranty, if you still have coverage.

I think there was too much oil in it. I drained a little out of it and it doesn't do it nearly as much. I was riding mostly on the street and kept an eye on it to make sure it still wasn't dripping. I think it happens mostly when I go up a hill forcing oil out of the hose. But if I just ride on flat stuff it doesnt really do it.

This motor is actually pretty quick for what I have been using it for. I have been riding on flat streets near my house that don't have homes built on them yet. going around corners and stuff. it feels really slow from a stop and long straights oh and when you go uphill.

so basically it's super slow unless you are on flat tight corners!
It will do until I pick up a 6.5 from HF.

Last edited: