My estate sale find today.

FunWithStuff

My goal is not to spend more on those parts than i did for the bike and I'm already in at around 200
That's an admirable goal but some of the parts you are looking for are probably going to be worth more than that. Cat parts in general (especially the rare ones which you need) are worth a decent amount. The last rear fender I saw on eBay sold for about $150 and I don't think I have ever seen a Duster sissy bar come up on eBay by itself before, I've only seen it come up with a complete or partially complete bike that of course the users are asking hundreds for. I don't know about the brake setup as I have never seen one come up either but I would assume it's worth a decent amount as well. You could try posting a WANTED thread in the classifieds on this site and maybe someone can help you in finding your missing parts. Or if you are patient enough maybe they might pop up on eBay but if they do you have to be kind of quick about buying them because Cat parts sell pretty quickly (unless it's an auction) as tons of other people are looking for them. At least that's what I have noticed over the years in trying to find Cat parts.

Last edited:

f4radar

That's an abmirable goal but some of the parts you are looking for are probably going to be worth more than that. Cat parts in general (especially the rare ones which you need) are worth a decent amount. The last rear fender I saw on eBay sold for about $150 and I don't think I have ever seen a Duster sissy bar come up on eBay by itself before, I've only seen it come up with a complete or partially complete bike that of course the users are asking hundreds for. I don't know about the brake setup as I have never seen one come up either but I would assume it's worth a decent amount as well. You could try posting a WANTED thread in the classifieds on this site and maybe someone can help you in finding your missing parts. Or if you are patient enough maybe they might pop up on eBay but if they do you have to be kind of quick about buying them because Cat parts sell pretty quickly (unless it's an auction) as tons of other people are looking for them. At least that's what I have noticed over the years in trying to find Cat parts.
I had no idea that the parts for one of these JCP bikes would cost so much. I’m starting to think that it’s worth more money in pieces. I’m not fishing for the parts here in these post I’ll just add them to the list of things I’m on the lookout for.

I74

I bought that in 71 I was a senior in high school living the dream
That's awesome that you kept it all these years …. :cool:

For me,, that would of been ''very'' hard to do,, with my ''roller coaster'' life...

If I still had half the cars , bikes ,, ect. ect. from back in the day,, & flipped them now,,, I would probably be sitting pretty, for a good long while.

f4radar

That's awesome that you kept it all these years …. :cool:

For me,, that would of been ''very'' hard to do,, with my ''roller coaster'' life...

If I still had half the cars , bikes ,, ect. ect. from back in the day,, & flipped them now,,, I would probably be sitting pretty, for a good while.
I loved that car it was my stereo on wheels… I let my two boys use it as their first car. I’m afraid if I restore it it will lose its essence.

Attachments

Last edited:

I74

I loved that car it was my stereo on wheels… I let my two boys use it as their first car. I’m afraid if I restore it it will lose its essence.
If it's not rusted or rotted out, ''like it doesn't appear to be'',, I wouldn't mess with it, other than keeping it running & driving good. ;)

FunWithStuff

Don’t hate me but I needed a temporary sissy bar till I find one and there was this old pipe in the barn. I took it for it’s first long ride and that 3hp and that little mercury clutch did not like hauling my fat a** up the hill
That is actually a great looking sissy bar! I definitely don't think it's a bad idea to improvise once and a while.

Last edited:

I74

Just noticed the rims in the latest pics, & they look great !!

The sissy bar, if you could bend another piece of pipe & make it narrow @ the top, & keep the lower part like the other one,, I think that it wouldn't look to shabby at all.

desert rat

I had no idea that the parts for one of these JCP bikes would cost so much. I’m starting to think that it’s worth more money in pieces. I’m not fishing for the parts here in these post I’ll just add them to the list of things I’m on the lookout for.
I started building my cat like 12 years ago and all I had was the clutch cover. I am only missing one fender, I will find it one of these days. At least you are riding yours, I may never ride that one.

markus

Page 2 of this thread shows what I did to make a useable sissy bar for mine so it could be ridden. I think Derek had said (he ended up buying the bike from me) that is was quite a bit taller than the original was. He had a an original or correct repop when he purchased it so it got to live out the rest of its life out at the big cat rescue with the right parts on it :D I was into that bike about the same as when you are with yours, I thin the wanted 275 for it when I bought it, and he said "if you give me full price I'll throw in this American flag helmet. which I sold off for a pretty good price and the bike didn't need money thrown at it to get it going.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1974-jc-penney-duster-chopper-cat.51788/

f4radar

Page 2 of this thread shows what I did to make a useable sissy bar for mine so it could be ridden. I think Derek had said (he ended up buying the bike from me) that is was quite a bit taller than the original was. He had a an original or correct repop when he purchased it so it got to live out the rest of its life out at the big cat rescue with the right parts on it :D I was into that bike about the same as when you are with yours, I thin the wanted 275 for it when I bought it, and he said "if you give me full price I'll throw in this American flag helmet. which I sold off for a pretty good price and the bike didn't need money thrown at it to get it going.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1974-jc-penney-duster-chopper-cat.51788/
That was a great thread...I've scoured the the site and some how missed it. Even after looking at all those pictures I'm still scratching my head as to whether that is a 90 degree angle at the end of the seat or something greater. Do you recall? these have my eye on #bay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=312000665809

Corona beer can act as a laxative don't cha know

desert rat

markus

That was a great thread...I've scoured the the site and some how missed it. Even after looking at all those pictures I'm still scratching my head as to whether that is a 90 degree angle at the end of the seat or something greater. Do you recall? these have my eye on #bay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=312000665809

Corona beer can act as a laxative don't cha know

it matched the angle of the seat kickup pretty good seemed like Its more than 90.