My first build - '72 Arctic Whisker - brakes

O.k. let's face it without this website I wouldn't be embarking on such a task.
So kudos to everyone for giving me the opportunity to give it a go !

I noticed I'm missing a "kill switch" for the bike and 1(one) brake pad (looks like the Bendix type)

-what type of switch can I use for a kill switch ? (suggestions)
-where & how much can I expect to pay for brakes ?

I'm all ears,

javascript:void(0)

den35

The previous owner of my 72 AC Prowler used a universal horn button riveted to the handlebar as a kill switch.

Can't help with the brakes though.Mine has drums.

Rapini
Are you doing a full restore or making it a rider?
The brakes you can get at BMI Kart Supply. He also sells them on Ebay under stevbmi. They are a 4 1/2 OD with a 5/8 hole.

The kill switch you can use pretty much any of them from minibike supply shops or on Ebay. The most frequent are the red buttoned that clamp to the handle bar. If you are going original, the only place I know of is mb_man.

72 Whisker - day 2

I'm building the bike as a rider ... for now. I believe the brake is an internal expanding drum type not the band type or disc.
Thanks for the quick responses !

The little cable that attaches to the spark plug is in need of replacing and the rims have a chunk missing from them ? again any suggestions on the spark and wire ? Reputable site for decent rims ?

Rapini
I apologize, the suggestion I gave you will work but you will have a few alterations to make. I forgot that the Whiskers has the brake stud welded to the swingarm with a sliding bracket on the brake. The rest of the 6" bikes have a sliding bracket on the swingarm with a single hole in the brake bracket. Both allow you to adjust your chain tension but the 2nd is a better choice. The Whiskers was an introductory bike and did not come with any bells or whistles. The sliding bracket brake drums are hard to find and could take some time to locate. I will check my sources. I converted my Whiskers to the more advanced system and would make that recomendation. To do so, your are going to need to cut off and grind smooth the brake stud on the swingarm or replace the swingarm with one from any other of the 6" wheeled bikes. You could check with Jeff Mihalko (mini bike reunion) as he was selling some this spring. You will also need a sliding brake mount off a 70 SSSI or a 71 Prowler. Seems like more work but it will be well worth it in the long run, especially for a bike you are going to ride.

I can't answer the spark plug wire as I have not tackled. The rims are not available new. They were produced by Manco and all I have been able to find is in a 5". Tired Iron carried them but I believe they are no longer in business. Best suggestion is Ebay.