My first DB 30

Sprocket86

I'll try to explain the theory as best as I can here.

Basically if the front wheel load bearing plane is not in line with the center of gravity with the rest of the machine any time the wheel is turned from center with the vehicle moving in a forward direction the steering geometry WILL be different from left to right. It has to be!QUOTE]

So basically this is nothing more than scrub radius. Thanks.
Your welcome and yes the wheel hub offset would be referred to as scrub radius in the 4 wheel chassis world. In the 2 wheel world this is more difficult to visualize. Most new vehicle suspension systems utilize a positive offset wheel to help improve the contact patch weight distribution placed on the tires tread.

Sprocket86

maybe this forks mod could be used on Coleman if only on street with a thiner front wheel/tire to reduce weight a little and have center..hmmm handling would for sure be better
It's up for someone to try this. I really don't see it being an issue. I would think it would be the "sprung weight" of a Coleman CT200U that would cause the suspension to bottom out. The heavy front wheel would be considered unsprung weight but still has an effect on the suspension dynamics.

But the unsprung weight is what the shock has to control. The Coleman front wheel weighs a lot more than the scooter wheel that these little forks came off of.

The sprung weight is what the spring supports. Thus a higher spring rate would be needed for the heavier frame and rider to prevent excess sag and allow the shock to be at rest in its neutral travel position. This would allow for proper jounce and rebound with out bottoming out.

Doug

Sprocket86

But the unsprung weight is what the shock has to control. The Coleman front wheel weighs a lot more than the scooter wheel that these little forks came off of.

The sprung weight is what the spring supports. Thus a higher spring rate would be needed for the heavier frame and rider to prevent excess sag and allow the shock to be at rest in its neutral travel position. This would allow for proper jounce and rebound with out bottoming out.

Doug
You make a very valid point here. Springs rate VS Shock valving, you need both to work in unison.

What happened to the ninja post Raskin????
I decided it was not so necessary..you guys are all unsprung heroes..hehe ..just a heads up..I'm on pain meds and do have a glass of wine or beer also so i can be a little out there more than others times..it's lifetime too..I'm chronic.. yeah that too :eek:ut: :anon.sml:

Last edited:
[MENTION=54903]Raskin[/MENTION], Poppa Wheelie, its all good. I wish you had left it up as I thought it was a riot....

I am still laughing about it when I think about it.

Doug

You make a very valid point here. Springs rate VS Shock valving, you need both to work in unison.
That is correct. Shock dampening controls wheel motion and spring rate controls ride height. Marry the 2 correctly and you have a smooth ride.

BTW....your Heald Inc Super Bronc is off the charts awesome!!
Thank you sir! I am proud to have it and be able to enjoy it. I am going to do a thread on it shortly when I take it all apart and clean and reassemble it freshly serviced. No paint work! Just make it ride and perform like it did new.

Doug

It's up for someone to try this. I really don't see it being an issue. I would think it would be the "sprung weight" of a Coleman CT200U that would cause the suspension to bottom out. The heavy front wheel would be considered unsprung weight but still has an effect on the suspension dynamics.
I was really thinking if you happen to lift the front tire off the ground over a rise,wheelie or throttle hop the heavy Coleman rims downward momentum(opposed to a small db30) would pull the bike down harder to the ground thus bottoming out that way..not much more but a little

Last edited:

Sprocket86

That is correct. Shock dampening controls wheel motion and spring rate controls ride height. Marry the 2 correctly and you have a smooth ride.

Thank you sir! I am proud to have it and be able to enjoy it. I am going to do a thread on it shortly when I take it all apart and clean and reassemble it freshly serviced. No paint work! Just make it ride and perform like it did new.

Doug
I'd like to see a thread on the inner workings and details of this Heald Inc product of the 70's! Look forward to learing more about these awesome fat tire mini bikes.

How is the engine vibration with that big ol 10hp large frame Tec?

I'd like to see a thread on the inner workings and details of this Heald Inc product of the 70's! Look forward to learing more about these awesome fat tire mini bikes.

How is the engine vibration with that big ol 10hp large frame Tec?
A thread is coming and I have not even cranked it since it arrived much less ridden it..... Its missing a piece of throttle linkage. Which is on the way.

I started preparing a place to tear it down and go through it today. I just have to pull out my Bulldog Lift to put it on. Then the fun begins.

Doug

A thread is coming and I have not even cranked it since it arrived much less ridden it..... Its missing a piece of throttle linkage. Which is on the way.

I started preparing a place to tear it down and go through it today. I just have to pull out my Bulldog Lift to put it on. Then the fun begins.

Doug
I'd like to see more on this bike too..maybe a short ytube vid also. :thumbsup:

Sprocket86

Doug
Awesome and can't wait!

What's a tablet??? I still live in the dark ages.... I don't need no frills.... I would rather spend my money on my toys..... My house is the only house around with an antenna on it. 35 feet in the air but it sure works good.

hahaha..i understand..i still got one of those motor driven tower antennae ..i use to work on pc ..i got 3 desktops running all different operating systems..one with linux,three monitors,and a tablet :laugh:

Last edited: