My first mod.

air filter mod.jpg
air filter mod 2.jpg

Decided to try some cheep mods on the old motor before I swap in the built motor. I am still in need of parts for the new motor anyways. My first budget mod is a Brigs&Stratton big block air filter swap. I still need to get a real performance air filter and adapter and thought I would try this tell then. I don't have enough yard to test so cant say if it worked or not yet. Going to take bike to families property were I can ride and tune. The filter fits the top snug so the top stays in place well but I need to figure out how I am going to secure it now as it is snug but not secure. Was going to make a scoop but decided it would probably be too bulky and is best left how it is as it is not in my way. And yes this is getting a real performance filter later guys. Just though this would be fun to try.

SAS289

Interesting. So you gave it more air. Did you open up the jet at all?

If I were running all stock I would drill 4 1/2" holes in the bottom of the air box and open up the main to about .031 or so. Maybe even poke a few tiny holes in the stock air filter.

Last edited:
Have not added more fuel yet. Going to see if I can get a bit at Homedepot tomorrow as I worked yesterday and today. I think it might have caused a flat spot a few RPM after the clutch engages when I hit the throttle. My yard is too small to do good test in. I will see if I can find a .031,.033 and a .035 bit. I plan on making a header for it soon too so will probably have to re step up the jet later. I thought about drilling out the bottom of the box too but decided I would just mod what I have too to make the filter fit.

SAS289

I'm wondering if you would even experience a noticeable change in power or not. I started out with the open air filter, 140 e tube, and jetted at .033. The rest of the Hisun engine is stock. Runs fine. For the hell of it I dropped down to a .031 and didn't notice any difference. Kinda makes me want to see how it runs with the stock e tube. I should mention that I bought 4 extra jets to play with. And I am running the stock muffler that I ground out the flange area in an attempt to port match it to the gasket. Not great but at least it took care of that part of the restriction.

So could not find bits at homedepot but I did get some welding tip cleaners. There pretty much round files. Not sure what size I used but I went one size up on the file. I took the largest one that fit and filed it tell I could fit the next size up and then did a few passes with the large one. I cant find my calipers but either way it runs better and has a little more pep to it. It pulls good and am thinking I will be pretty happy once remove the governor. I do wish it had just a little more bottom end right after the clutch engages so maybe a flat top piston to raise the compression, porting the head and the header will give the extra power I am looking for in this motor. I need to buy some extra gaskets so I can start tearing things apart. Files were $4.50 so I am in the mods for a little under $25 so far. I also see that the return spring is bottoming out. I have the throttle screw all the way out but the throttle is not going all the way open due to the spring being too long.

SAS289

Yeah chop that return spring to get full throttle. And it's easy enough to add a second spring if necessary. The Coleman doesn't come with the small throttle spring found on clones for years.

Last edited:
Just ordered some gaskets and a flat top piston for this motor. Would have loved to do a UT2 flat top and a +.100 rod but cant afford the rod at the moment.

SAS289

Have you measured "in the hole" on any of the clone engines? I opened up a few of these but do not have the measuring tools. They appear to be at least .030 in the hole. You would think you could use a .020 rod with the stock piston?

I will be using a new old stock greyhound for my second Coleman and am undecided about how far to go with engine before I put it in the bike. I want to stay mainly stock but know that a rod is probably the best upgrade (internally) to do for these engines. The small bump in compression would be an added bonus. I'm such a cheap ass and have a hard time with the idea of putting a $60 rod in an $89 engine.