My Friends Mini Bike I'm Restoring

My buddy Brought his Honda CT70 over and we got it running and decided to race it against my mini bike. By the end of the block I was half a block ahead and my chain came off. Having a clutch band brake I had to take the corner way faster than I was comfortable with and roll to a stop. I decided right then that it wasn't going to happen like that again. Oh my chain may come off again but I'll have a front brake next time. So I took a tri star sprocket mount and made a spacer for a disc rotor. It came out pretty good and I made a spacer to go between the wheel bearings so I can tighten the front axle. Just need to make a caliper mount and weld it onto the fork leg. The wheel is crooked by about .040'' and I will probably have to shim the rotor straight. I checked the rear wheel only to find it has runout also. No wonder my chain came off. I guess the quality control on these wheels is not that good. DSCN8707.JPG DSCN8706.JPG DSCN8709.JPG DSCN8708.JPG

I decided to step up to #41 chain for my final drive and made an adapter to mount a sprocket I already had. I needed to shim 2 of the through bolts in order to true the sprocket runout. The chain will run a little closer to the tire allowing me to center the wheel better. DSCN8714.JPG DSCN8715.JPG

DaddyJohn

I've always wondered about flex if adding brakes to spindly forks, but being a motorcycle guy, wholeheartedly appreciate front brakes!

A sprung fork sort of precludes this idea, but welding a truss-style reinforcement plate (say 3/16") on the front of a solid fork would look make it look like a faux girder fork and prevent flex. Shouldn't add a ridiculous amount of weight...:)

Attachments

I made these small brackets to hold my foot peg shaft on. They will be welded to the frame in a desirable location for my buddy and I to be comfortable. The pegs are folding Harley buddy pegs I get from the Long Beach cycle swap for a dollar or so each. DSCN8728.JPG DSCN8729.JPG

Thanks, DJ, I may need to get one of those. There's a few ways to form foam and most are messy. I haven't done it a lot so I'll see how it goes.

Today I cut out my seat base, then glued the foam to it. Next I mounted it in a board and cut some guides for the shape I want. Cut it with a hacksaw following the wooden guides and it came out good enough to have a cover made. DSCN8734.JPG DSCN8735.JPG DSCN8739.JPG DSCN8740.JPG DSCN8742.JPG