My Friends Mini Bike I'm Restoring

I've been trying to get hold of this mini bike for over a year and Gary, my friend and neighbor, finally decided to let me work on it. We're both going to enjoy it when finished because he lives only a couple of streets from me. I posted it in the "What is it?" section and gammatg identified it as a Rupp "Goat" with a Bonanza Kidney Bean front wheel. The rear wheel is smaller and a different style. It's obviously in need of a bunch of parts and of course the forks are stuck. The sprockets are mounted to the jack shaft with regular bolts that are broken off and will need to be drilled out. I'll try to save the shaft as it's stepped and may be original. I don't know how rare and important this model is, so I'm inviting comments. If it's critical that it's kept original I'll build it using what I have with no modifications until I collect the correct components. Would love to hear from members with knowledge of those components and if they're available. Gary's a big dude so I have several engines in the 8hp range. A couple of Briggs, a Kohler and a Robin. Leaning towards the Robin as the Briggs may be too tall and the Kohler is real heavy. I disassembled it and have a bunch of questions. But for now I'll wait to hear from members. I love how you guys help others with their projects. DSCN8601.JPG DSCN8600.JPG DSCN8599.JPG DSCN8598.JPG DSCN8597.JPG DSCN8596.JPG DSCN8595.JPG

I thought the jack shaft might be original but it was so boogered up that I cut it off to remove it. My largest puller would not get the outer sprocket off. And there were no keyways on the ends that are turned down to 5/8''. Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the original shaft? DSCN8613.JPG

manchester1 says my front Bonanza wheel may be worth 2 regular 6'' wheels. I would be up for a trade. I don't know what came originally. DSCN8598.JPG

I was correct mentioning my 8hp Briggs is too tall and so is the Kohler. But by removing the huge muffler, the Subaru Robin fits snugly, and the mounting holes line up. It has a 1'' PTO and I already have a nice #35 chain, 1'' clutch. If I go ahead with this engine, I'll gear it for 30-35mph tops. May have to add a wheelie bar. DSCN8618.JPG DSCN8619.JPG

The shocks came apart as soon as I figured out how. Cleaned up pretty good and now ready for paint and reassembly. Need to fab up a spring compressor. DSCN8621.JPG DSCN8622.JPG

I'm going to drill out all the broken bolts the previous owner used instead of set screws and try to save the sprockets. I also made a puller to remove a bearing race left in one of the wheels when it fell apart. It's described in another thread. DSCN8626.JPG DSCN8629.JPG

markus

The shocks came apart as soon as I figured out how. Cleaned up pretty good and now ready for paint and reassembly. Need to fab up a spring compressor. View attachment 250604 View attachment 250605

no spring compressor needed, mount the upper eyelet in a vise upside down and assemble the shock, some guys take a plastic straw to slide the spring down onto/around the shaft correctly, To install the nut if you have a magnetized socket its super easy, if not maybe some tape to hold the nut in the socket, or put the shock sideways in the vise, you just push down and thread the nut onto the shaft, there is not that much spring pressure, just grabbing the lower body and pushing it downward gives you more than enough to thread the nut. I am really spoiled though, I have magnetized sockets and locking extensions so it makes putting these shocks together really easy.....

IMG_1405.JPG