My Friends Mini Bike I'm Restoring

I74

Thanks, it is the Robin engine. I'll save the Clements for another project. That'l give me time to get the rest of the race parts, de-tune it or sell it.
I would see how the Clements runs just as the set up is.
Bet then you would probably want to keep it . ;)

Why not use the stock footpeg mounts? They’re pretty far back, right next to the jackshaft mounts, and yours look to be intact. Black Widow Motorsports sells the footpegs themselves.

Why not use the stock footpeg mounts? They’re pretty far back, right next to the jackshaft mounts, and yours look to be intact. Black Widow Motorsports sells the footpegs themselves.
I may use the stock mounts yet. The left one is missing but I can make one as the supplier is out of them. Depends on how much room is left around the primary guard and the pull rope housing. Also how ergonomic they are. My ankle only bends so far when I'm sitting.

Today I carved a brake band bracket out of a 6'' piece of 1'' X 2'' channel to line up with some threaded holes on the engine's side cover. A few more pieces and I can attach a cable. Just hope the bracket is strong enough not to bend under heavy braking. View attachment 252503 View attachment 252504 View attachment 252505
Nice work. Shouldn’t the band tighten in the same direction of rotation? I’ve never tried the set-up this way. I sure it will work just fine either way. Maybe just a myth.

That's a great question. Last one I wrapped that way grabbed too much and wanted to lock up the wheel, so I had to turn it around and it was much more progressive than aggressive. But I can turn it around if it's too weak. Wouldn't mind hearing from other members how they do theirs. I think it depends on how much of a mechanical advantage the drive ratios provide along with braking surface area, weight, speed and traction. Plus some more factors I don't even know about. It could all be scientifically calculated, but not by me. Besides, I like experimenting.

That's a great question. Last one I wrapped that way grabbed too much and wanted to lock up the wheel, so I had to turn it around and it was much more progressive than aggressive. But I can turn it around if it's too weak. Wouldn't mind hearing from other members how they do theirs. I think it depends on how much of a mechanical advantage the drive ratios provide along with braking surface area, weight, speed and traction. Plus some more factors I don't even know about. It could all be scientifically calculated, but not by me. Besides, I like experimenting.
I like the way you’re thinking. I’m hoping to hear about your results. We sometimes have issues with bikes sliding excessively on new wet pavement.

I made the other pieces to mount the brake band onto the bracket with an extra strap to keep it from bending. And an adjuster for the cable. I'll be selecting a handlebar lever and cable next. I also cut the chains to the correct length. DSCN8681.JPG DSCN8680.JPG

Today I installed the chains and sprockets and made up an exhaust pipe from 1'' pipe and fittings. It's really hard to make pipe stuff look like anything besides pipe stuff. I had the muffler already and may try an older one that has a cool shape. Removed the carb so the pipe would fit and will clean it while its off. Going to put a different air filter on that will clear the exhaust. Still need to make a pipe hanger to support the rear. Finished the brake install and it works great. Very strong. Looks like throttle, grips, foot pegs and seat will get it ready for a test ride. DSCN8684.JPG DSCN8683.JPG DSCN8685.JPG

I'm going to drill out all the broken bolts the previous owner used instead of set screws and try to save the sprockets. I also made a puller to remove a bearing race left in one of the wheels when it fell apart. It's described in another thread. View attachment 250679 View attachment 250680
I personally would not re-use the sprockets. I assume you will put a nice new chain on the bike. Be nice to the chain with new sprockets.

Thanks doug. Yes, new chain and luckily the sprockets are in good shape. I'll test the gearing and buy new if needed. I got the muffler hanger installed. Working on a throttle next. DSCN8686.JPG

I hooked up the throttle and went on a test ride. Gearing is really good. It pulls hard and would be real easy to loop out, but I was careful not to. Has a great sound with that muffler. Not too loud. Still need to figure out foot peg position, redo the seat, cut the extra off the jack shaft, make a cable clamp to replace the zip tie for the brake, make some better axle spacers, make an air filter adapter and a couple of chain guards. DSCN8693.JPG DSCN8692.JPG DSCN8691.JPG DSCN8690.JPG DSCN8689.JPG DSCN8688.JPG DSCN8687.JPG

Brake is super strong and progressive. The governor works a little too well so I may adjust or eliminate it. For now my buddy and I will terrorize the neighborhood with it while I detail my first one. Then if everything is still good I'll finish this one.