My gocart build

Im building this gocart and i figured you guys would appreciate it so since there is a lack of a gocart forum i figured heres as good a spot as any. Its going very well iv got probrobly 10-12 hours into it sofar. My original plan was to build the front portion and when i aquire a working engine id build the rear end to suit it. And sofar thats what im doing but before my idea was to use a regular 5 or 8 hp engine from anything i find out for the garbage. But more and more im thinking a motorcyle engine would really hit the spot. Even somthing from a quad or 3 wheeler would work.
Im getting to the point in the build that i cant do much more without an engine. I cant build a pedal cluster yet because i need to know if it needs a clutch or not. I also need to get some kind of mesh for the floor.
Anyway what iv built sofar is pretty impressive since its built completely out of old bicycles, bedframe and some conduit. I used 5 necks 2 cranks 2 rear ends for the a arms 2 sets of handlebars i even used some front wheel brackets for spindle gussets. I got tie rods from a junkyard 4 wheeler. The seat is just a chair from the 70's. I used the cranks for the rear end pivots i have yet to build off of. The front wheels and tires are from a snow blower. The steering wheel and rear tires are junk yard finds i had laying around and the axle is also from a riding mower i had laying around. The front shocks i think are off of my old super-bronk. I might resurect that someday but no time soon. The oly mess up i had sofar is i i made the steering arm facing up making it steer oposite. So i had to change that and make it facing down.
Anyway so im going to hit a dead end on this progect pretty soon if i dont find an engine. Heres what iv got sofar

Somehow I didn't see this thread until today. I am really impressed by your inventiveness! Building a gokart from old bicycles, that's just brilliant!

I love the single a-arm front suspension. And you built it so you have the longest arms possible, that's a good thing. Many people build their a-arms too short, which limits wheel travel.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of this build. Keep up your good work! :thumbsup:

delray

hey jeep2003,cool cart build with bicycle parts:thumbsup:
:scooter:....wait till the kids get home from school and find out there bikes are gone:doah:

Hent

More updates please! This is a very cool project, and as backyard builder mentioned, not sure why this one got over looked!

Thanks guys! Progress is at a stand still right now till i get an engine and im in no major hurry. I just know if i go out searching for one and end up paying a bunch of money for it ill end up getting one a week later in better shape from one of my freinds for free. Thats how it always is. Dont worry i wont forget about this thread :)

Alright we have progress! I got a 175cc yamaha 2 stroke dirt bike motor this thing is gonna fly! I got all the rear end roughed in today. I havnt quite decided what to do for a brake yet. I have a band brake i could probrobly make work or go with some kind of disk brake maby from a taurus or somthing thats cable operated. Also i gotta find some stiffer shocks for the front there a little too weak but the back is great. The diff has been welded solid so hopefully that will work for me.

Cool!

Jeep, your just the type of guy to come to San Fernando Valley California and race with us in our Soap Box Federation this year. Of course you would have to lose the motor just for the race, then you can put it back in. We are featured in this February's issue of Hot Rod Magazine. Check it out, I'm the first car that built his car with full suspension like yours. I'm the green car holding the trophy.:thumbsup:

Illegal and Dangerous Soap Box Racing - Hot Rod Magazine

Soap Box Trophy Photo

Man that is sooo awesome!!!! Super inventive, wow. I certainly came up with a few ideas for our build, from yours.

Just a question though, are you going to leave the top and bottoms of the front A-arms solid like that?? I see you installed shocks, but without having a way to move in a "circular" motion caused by the up and down motion, that set-up is going to break. i'm wondering if maybe sperical(sp) rod ends would help some, I dunno. Either way that is some awesome stuf, keep it up!!!!

Does the words "Mad Max" come to mind?????ha ha ha!! Good idea though. I am planning on building some thing similar, but different. I am using a front suspension from a 4 wheeler and make my own frame to make a mini coffin rat rod using a 14 hp briggs v-twin bottom shaft. I will keep posted.

Man that is sooo awesome!!!! Super inventive, wow. I certainly came up with a few ideas for our build, from yours.

Just a question though, are you going to leave the top and bottoms of the front A-arms solid like that?? I see you installed shocks, but without having a way to move in a "circular" motion caused by the up and down motion, that set-up is going to break. i'm wondering if maybe sperical(sp) rod ends would help some, I dunno. Either way that is some awesome stuf, keep it up!!!!
Thanks!
The suspention should work fine. The reason cars have seperate a arms is just to keep the alignment good. Iv seen manufactured carts built similar to mine with the spidle solid with the control arm. Plus theres not enough suspention travel to really throw things off.

jeep2003
Thanks! The suspention should work fine. The reason cars have seperate a arms is just to keep the alignment good. Iv seen manufactured carts built similar to mine with the spidle solid with the control arm. Plus theres not enough suspention travel to really throw things off.
Cool, must be the mechanic in me, lol. It just looks like it'll ride really "hard", keep up the great work.

This is the dirtbike it was on. I tried to sell it complete and running and had no takers so i used the motor and relisted it without the motor and got a taker right away. Hes coming to get it tomorrow. Go figure.