My homemade glass pack muffler

MJL

Knocked it together pretty much just so see what it sounded like. Used a 3/4 nipple, 1" EMT, and an empty propane bottle. Drilled out holes in the inner pipe until it looked like Swiss cheese, bent them into little scoops with a screw driver, packed it with fiberglass, and tacked it all together with a AC stick welder (not the right tool for the job!).

Sounds pretty good! A little lower than the previous Briggs hotdog muffler, yet the thump is more noticeable. Puts the outlet another foot farther back as well.

If I end up rebuilding it, I'll probably cut the rear cap off further forward, weld up a band to go around the tank, then use a couple sheet metal screws to hold it all together. Should be neater and make it easier to repack. If the fiberglass breaks down too quickly, I might try stainless pot scrubbers.

Attachments

It seems I've heard reports from folks on this subject. My experience and other's indicate you will be shopping for stainless pot scrubbers on- sale in your future.
Cool design, I like your ideas on version 2.
Cool TAV guard as well.
Nice work.

MJL

Thanks, everyone! The bike is taking on a bit of a rat rod look, but I'm cool with that. The muffler is spitting out little bits of insulation, not sure if it will stabilize at some point or not. I've got a cheap 50' roll of Chinese header wrap on the way that may volunteer itself for packing. Chopped fiberglass mat is also a fairly cheap, and quite a bit denser than insulation, so it might be a more durable option as well.

Last edited:

MJL

Hmm, the header wrap talk just gave me an idea to try. A Swiss cheesed header wrapped with a heavy layer of wrap and no outer can...

Harquebus

You could also wrap your fiberglass matting with some wire mesh to prevent it from blowing out. Think “chicken wire” but on a smaller scale. Use it like sandwich bread.