My HS 50 build up

CarPlayLB

David,
The Tec H50 I sold a while back had a cast iron flywheel as stock on an ungoverned motor from the factory. I would be more afraid of the aluminum flywheel than the cast iron. Clean up yours and have it magnufluxed to make sure it is solid.

David intake is always bigger than exhaust on the clones on the old stock ones it was 24mmex 25mm in and the bigger valve heads are 27mm intake and 25mm exhaust. I also read about the comment that the exhaust port is too big that is true for the briggs and the threaded Tecumseh exhausts but for yours it's fine. I just clean up and shart casting edges and by hand with 120 grit smooth the short side radius, do not try to reshape just want to smooth it out so it is a nice radius. You do have the large exhaust valve the newer engines have a tiny one barely larget than a dime.

Bu the way I think 125crazy or micromags had a great build up you can search for and mine is on the end of his. He made the intake round by filling in the dogleg and using his own manifold. I copied his idea and did the same thing on my HS50 build. For the one I am building now I left it alone as I am using the stock manifold with a tilly to make it look like the correct engine for the continental.

if you get your running before i do which is very likely, interested to see how it runs.
Me to, waiting on rings and a PTO oil seal then she goes together. Has anyone ever tried a Honda GX200 carb or predator hemi carb on a tech ?
I don't want to go mikuni because I'am going use the Powell throttle and powell cable . I also don't have a problem with the tech carb if it will work on this modded motor . The manifold is going to be straightened out for a smoother transition and flow .
Do y'all have any suggestions ?

On the one I am building now I am going to try a tilly. My other HS50 has the CHI-mikuni carb and runs fine and starts great with the enrichner. Only change was to a 125 main jet. Once I get this one finished with the tilly I will let you know how it works. I have a speedway with a 5HP briggs with a tilly on it and it is mostly stock and runs just fine with the tilly. It has a choke so 1 pull with the choke, turn it off and next pull it usually starts. I have found on non-racing applications that having the pump stack on the bottom gets rid of erratic idle issues, gas in the oil if idled, and fuel dribbles into the air filter when engine is stopped. YMMV

On the one I am building now I am going to try a tilly. My other HS50 has the CHI-mikuni carb and runs fine and starts great with the enrichner. Only change was to a 125 main jet. Once I get this one finished with the tilly I will let you know how it works. I have a speedway with a 5HP briggs with a tilly on it and it is mostly stock and runs just fine with the tilly. It has a choke so 1 pull with the choke, turn it off and next pull it usually starts. I have found on non-racing applications that having the pump stack on the bottom gets rid of erratic idle issues, gas in the oil if idled, and fuel dribbles into the air filter when engine is stopped. YMMV
So you turn the tilly upside down so to speak , and it idles . The 334 HL I put on the briggs flatly I just finished for Douglas also would idle sorta but not really . But danm it made some HP and would scream . But it also would foul a plug quick and load the oil up with fuel . Let me know hoe the tilly works .

Well now have decided to do a full restore on my Powell so the motor will get painted up also . I'am thinking a white that matches the tech white and then sand the edges of the fins and then it all gets clear coated with Eastwood 2k High heat clear . Will take it all and sand blast everything tomorrow. Order rings and a PTO oil seal yesterday .

Me to, waiting on rings and a PTO oil seal then she goes together. Has anyone ever tried a Honda GX200 carb or predator hemi carb on a tech ?
I don't want to go mikuni because I'am going use the Powell throttle and powell cable . I also don't have a problem with the tech carb if it will work on this modded motor . The manifold is going to be straightened out for a smoother transition and flow .
Do y'all have any suggestions ?
what are you gonna do to keep the fly wheel from exploding? PC clear coat has the high temp gasoline resistant stuff.

Last edited:
The tec carb is great if it has the adjustable main jet on the bottom of the bowl. I was going to use it on my previous build but then opted for the mikuni. here is a pic of the tec carb with my manifold

The tec carb is great if it has the adjustable main jet on the bottom of the bowl. I was going to use it on my previous build but then opted for the mikuni. here is a pic of the tec carb with my manifold

Ole that looks cool, but I wonder if the block and it's threads can survive the weight of the carb and exhaust cantilevered out that far with all the vibration. :confused:
I'd still do it though, if it broke I'd just grab another Tec off the pile. :thumbsup:

what are you gonna do to keep the fly wheel from exploding? PC clear coat has the high temp gasoline resistant stuff.
Epoxy clear coat will hold the flywheel together.:laugh:
With this cast iron wheel i'am not that much worried about it exploding. Won't turn it past maybe 6k . And as much as people talk about wheels exploding , you don't see many that have . Plus this is not a China made flywheel . It also has magnets that are held on with two big ass rivets .
I know of all the talk but hey it's talk . And one more thing this motor was bought new in 1993 by the original owners of the Powell that it's on and the motor has very little run time and has not been taken apart . So the flywheel has not been beat on or over torqued and I just feel good about it .:thumbsup:

Ole the TECH carb I have is the original and works great , and is the adjustable model . I've seen that manifold before and it's still looks bad ass .