My kids TX-4 restore

MB165

My son and I bought this Fantic colt from Leon at windber in 2011. My daughter learned to ride it last year, but isnt coming to this year, My son is just not ready to try it yet. So, Its tore down for a little refresh.

Plans are to refinish the frame, rebuild engine, new tires, chain guard, grips and seat.

Last edited:

MB165

I stripped it down over the winter, and called a few powder coating places. Several quoted me $250-300 just to blast and coat the frame. Almost ended up painting it with a rattle can, but I settled on a local place, quoted me $220, he did the frame, forks, wheels, adjusters, spacers, sheetmetal off my yellow DB30, and blasted the sheetmetal off this one, the final bill was $150, price and finish is good enough.
I let the kids decide on color........anything but pink was OK, well.....purple....

MB165

The block is off to RPJ for boring, and everything else is stripped and ready to put together.

origional piston is in good shape, rings are gonners, too bad they didnt chrome the bore instead of the piston.

Last edited:

MB165

The engine machine work has turned into a joke..... First the guy boring it screws up then another machine shop ruins the seats.
By his own admission mr. rpj put coarse stones on his hone because he "didnt want to be there all day" the stones loaded up and put about fifteen nice deep scrapes into the lower part of the bore. I got a full refund plus some....
So, I went out and purchased my own Sunnen hone and the proper stones for resizing aluminum bores and all the needed accessories. Got them in and spent a morning in the shop a few weeks back and resized it myself to 20 over....came out real nice.
I dont have a valve seat cutter set yet, so I figured id drop it off at the machine shop whiloe we were on vacation. Went in to pick it up and the seat faces were at least 1/8" wide and there were chatter marks in each wtf?? Im paying a pro to do this and it looks like s*!t. Pointed it out to the owner and he mumbles a few things under his breath, yells out in the shop for joe. I guess joe is a green journeyman machinist, he tries to tell me it was worse than that when it came in. He put it in a serdi electric powered valve seat machine...lots of power. I guess he gave that lever a good pull and the cutter grabbed into the soft seat, that was it......all they needed was a light scuff to clean them up. Now the top of the valves are level with the deck!
Next on my list is a Neway cutter...I have never spent $1200 to rebuild a small engine :laugh::doah:.
anyway, now I can do precision aluminum cylinder boring and valve work for you guys. I also have purchased a lathe and mill, everything will be up and running by this fall.

MB165

It looks like all my minibike restos turn into marathon jobs...this one is finally winding down. The engine is almost done...
Im hoping to bring it to the hot dog hut next weekend.

I got a 66t azusa blank to replace the oval swiss cheesed origional.

Last edited:

rmm727

Engine looks real nice.

It just amazes me when you hear these machine shop horror stories that they never try to make things actually right, they make excuses instead.

What angle valve seat cutter do you need?

rmm727

Was curious, I have a set with the 31/46 cutter, pilots, and handle, but no other cutters. Didn't know if it was worth keeping for small engines or not. Never looked up the angles of the seats for these.

MB165

Was curious, I have a set with the 31/46 cutter, pilots, and handle, but no other cutters. Didn't know if it was worth keeping for small engines or not. Never looked up the angles of the seats for these.
yes, you have a smalll engine specific setup. it was probably supplied by briggs and stratton. keep it.