My Manco Thunderbird Restoration

I started out with a stock Manco Thunderbird Minibike that had seen better days. I opted for the Harbor Freight 6.5HP Honda Clone motor to replace the Tecumseh 3.5HP. Everything is stock and will stay stock on the motor.

I tore the bike completely down and had it powercoated a satin black. The motor is a tight fit with the stock exhaust, but it fits. The only thing different that I have added is a clutch brake and an aluminum chain guard. I left the tire brake on for a backup. I fabbed up a guard to cover the centrifugal clutch. I haven't decided what I am going to do with the plastic gas tank, it was faded real bad. I have sanded it down to rough it up as I was gonna paint it. I wasn't for sure how it would hold up for some gas spills. Right now it kinda looks carbon fiberish without the checkerboard look. I might leave it this way. The motor has plenty torque. It's a little too much right now since my 9 yr old neighbor will be riding it. It will easily tote the front wheel on take off with my 190lb self on it. I will be limiting the throttle throw to tame it down for him.

i have seen many a t-bird. many. i think yours is one of the best. i would have made the chain guard jus a bit longer to really clear the chain as well. jus my $0.02. if you dont care about havin stock parts a set of nice bmx bars really improves the ride.

nice bike!