My Muffler is too close to my seat pan and vinyl ?????

Hi guys. The Taylor muffler has about 1/4" clearance between it and the vinyl. I don't plan to ride it but once. As I do after every restore. Then I set it next to all my others. However, I do want to make sure it's ok. If I ever sell it. Thanks and please let me know if you think it will roast the vinyl. I'm using photo bucket for 1st time. I hope the links work. My apologies if they don't.

20160817_225317_zpsfnfzzwlu.jpg Photo by pat_marshall1 | Photobucket

20160817_225328_zpsdqgiiwul.jpg Photo by pat_marshall1 | Photobucket

20160817_225342_zps8xbtapcj.jpg Photo by pat_marshall1 | Photobucket

WLB

It looks like when you sit on it, the seat will go down and touch, if not bend, the exhaust. Surely would if you hit a bump. Even it didn't I think it is too close and will melt vinyl. I would just cut the pipe and rotate it to give adequate clearance.

I would say the muffler and pipe are too close, and would likely touch when someone is on the bike. Perhaps it would be possible to rotate the pipe?

Nice bike. Just curious...that seat had that much slope forward originally? Looks like would be uncomfortable..maybe raise seat 2 or 3 inches in front

Last edited:

45t

Nice bike. Just curious...that seat had that much slope forward originally? Looks like would be uncomfortable..maybe raise seat 2 or 3 inches in front
I agree with raising the front of the seat. You could simply make a bracket that raises the seat up away from the exhaust and also help level the seat out. I recently had to make one for my son's bike due to his original one being broke off. I got the flat stock metal at Ace Hardware relatively cheap and made the bends in my vise.

IMG_1055.JPG

Last edited:

Ding Ding

Looks like it's still sloped forward a bit too much. I would think the seat should sit perfectly level, or even sloped backwards some. A chopper style bike is designed to rest back on the sissy bar, but that forward sloping seat kind of works against that.

Do you have a picture of how it looked from the manufacturer?

Is there enough adjustment in the mounting brackets to allow it to sit level?

Looks like it's still sloped forward a bit too much. I would think the seat should sit perfectly level, or even sloped backwards some. A chopper style bike is designed to rest back on the sissy bar, but that forward sloping seat kind of works against that.

Do you have a picture of how it looked from the manufacturer?

Is there enough adjustment in the mounting brackets to allow it to sit level?
I think I need to see if the springs are screwed into the cups all the way when I get home. That's about the only adjustment I can think of that's possible. The front seat mounts are rigid, welded to frame. All pics online I can see show a level seat. Thanks Ding.

WLB

How far does the back of the seat go down when you sit on it? If the back goes down an inch you will be into the exhaust.

How far does the back of the seat go down when you sit on it? If the back goes down an inch you will be into the exhaust.
I'm about 175 lbs. It doesn't go down much at all when I sit on it. I'm gonna check and see if the springs are screwed all the way into the cups shortly...

It looks like when you sit on it, the seat will go down and touch, if not bend, the exhaust. Surely would if you hit a bump. Even it didn't I think it is too close and will melt vinyl. I would just cut the pipe and rotate it to give adequate clearance.
That's a good idea. Gonna do that. Twist it maybe 15 degrees to left and it will shoot right out the center/back. I had a car resto co. Locally to bend a pipe for me, weld the Taylor muffler and flange on. I gave them all the specs so it would look damn close to how it should. They unfortunately did what they wanted without notifying me they couldn't bend the pipe they chose as sharp as it should be. The muffler shouldn't go past the air cleaner. They knew this. But as a final result they said "I think it looks better than how it should" Had they just told me they couldn't do it how I specifically asked then I would have told them to STOP! It is what it is now. Idiots !

markus

what position did you set your front fork lowers at? that will set the angle of the frame, so if you went with the lowest height that may be one reason. Seat sat pretty level on mine but I am pretty sure the forks were set high.....at least the people that did all the mods to it over the years were :laugh:

It also looks like the front mount hole is pretty high in the seat pan on yours which maybe adds a little to the angle.

There are differences in the sissy bar lowers between the non jackshaft and jackshaft frame, although I think it may just be the mount holes. But if you look around at photos it almost seems like you see more angled up seats on the non jackshaft bikes for some reason.

that sucks they didn't get the header angled over farther. Hopefully you can swing it over enough and still clear the ear on the air cleaner.

When I re glassed the blown out front holes before sending the pan up to Karen to recover I made sure I got them all leveled up and sitting good on the now reworked frame, I did end up having to replace the front right seat mount because I had to splice in most of that frame rail to get rid of the Briggs and stratton mod.

Last edited:
what position did you set your front fork lowers at? that will set the angle of the frame, so if you went with the lowest height that may be one reason. Seat sat pretty level on mine but I am pretty sure the forks were set high.....at least the people that did all the mods to it over the years were :laugh:

It also looks like the front mount hole is pretty high in the seat pan on yours which maybe adds a little to the angle.

There are differences in the sissy bar lowers between the non jackshaft and jackshaft frame, although I think it may just be the mount holes. But if you look around at photos it almost seems like you see more angled up seats on the non jackshaft bikes for some reason.

that sucks they didn't get the header angled over farther. Hopefully you can swing it over enough and still clear the ear on the air cleaner.

When I re glassed the blown out front holes before sending the pan up to Karen to recover I made sure I got them all leveled up and sitting good on the now reworked frame, I did end up having to replace the front right seat mount because I had to splice in most of that frame rail to get rid of the Briggs and stratton mod.

Hey Markus. I set them at the longest level which should lift the nose up farthest. Pic coming...

I removed the whole rear axle, removed the sissy bar and lowers. Screwed the springs in tight into sissy cups. Screwed springs into lowers cup's tight. Then reassembled. Royal pain in the ass. But I think it looks more level, the seat. Compare it to my earlier pics. Thanks Mark ! When I put my weight on the seat the vinyl touches the muffler but doesn't flex/bend it. Still must be rotated.

20160819_224333_zpsz5jq5eav.jpg Photo by pat_marshall1 | Photobucket

Awesome bike. I notice a lot of members take pictures of their rides inside the house, how do you accomplish this incredible feat? Are you single, abandoned on an island, or just braver than I am?