My Project, Lemonhead.

So I'm planning on making a new, bigger off road bike taking cues from a bike I made a few years ago called the OrangeDream haha. I'm really trying to make it so it can carry most of my camping gear. I have some wheels ordered so I can start messing around but in the mean time I've been using the computer to design it.

Like the picture I'm going to relocate the gas tank, the black square, to get my tent, the orange cylinder, to fit under the seat with room to spare. I plan on making a front and rear racks for my sleeping bag, etc. So far the wheelbase is 53" and the seat height is 30" with a 10" ground clearance.

Attachments

Also im trying to think of a way to make a custom fork clamps. I did see a red beard garage video where he put pit bike forks on a coleman and he used shaft collars to grip the fork and welded a 1/4 bar between them. I thought that was a great idea and I guess thats what I was going to do but I was looking for collars that could work and Im not really seeing any.

I just thought of this and if anyone had an idea if it could work or not... let me know. But as it looks a hole of the appropriate diameter in say 1/4 steel? A little cut for some clamping room and a space to fit a 1/8 bolt. Is 1/4 enough thickness?

Originally I was thinking of getting pipe or tube with a real close ID and slide the forks into a set of them as the tree

Attachments

Lizardking

Are you set on designing and making every part on the frame? You can buy triple tree plates online to make your own forks. Why not try to find a good size used frame and build from there?

Round tube would be the better choice to make your own frame. The round tube has a higher resistance to both flex and torsional twisting than square for a given weight.

Are you set on designing and making every part on the frame? You can buy triple tree plates online to make your own forks. Why not try to find a good size used frame and build from there?

Round tube would be the better choice to make your own frame. The round tube has a higher resistance to both flex and torsional twisting than square for a given weight.
Everything except for the handlebars I think. I have tried looking up already made triple tree plates but I can't find any of the correct width and ID of fork tube. I'll be using a MB200 front wheel but not the MB200 front suspension. I'll be using bigger pit bike shocks. I don't have a tube bender but after my experience with the 1st one I've very confident with my square tube design, i made that frame too.

I dont think a bolt that small will work I would weld on a sleeve and nut on the backside then you can get alot more clamping force on it. It might not be so easy to find a hole saw the right diameter for your needs but i suppose a grinder or file and take care of it. 30" is pretty tall to straddle a bike with a wide seat that will make it hard to handle in the woods.

IMG_20220527_233541.jpg
I found out the sprocket I have needs new holes so I was able to print out a drill starting guide. I'll be able to complete the swingarm pretty soon.

I dont think a bolt that small will work I would weld on a sleeve and nut on the backside then you can get alot more clamping force on it. It might not be so easy to find a hole saw the right diameter for your needs but i suppose a grinder or file and take care of it. 30" is pretty tall to straddle a bike with a wide seat that will make it hard to handle in the woods.
Yep. I've been thinking about that too and that's what I'll need to do.

I was doing a lot of measuring against my yamaha fjr and its gonna be close. Getting my feet flat wont be a problem at all but standing on the ground while straddling it might be an issue. my pants might be getting in the way of measuring. I need to decide the height of the storage area. I can pack things flatter but I want to leave a gap for a heat shield so I could lower the seat height then have a thicker seat to keep my knees how I want them. We'll see

I finally got around to building my bike. Jeep2003 was right. Im a bit further along than my photo but I had made the frame like I had originally thought and it was too wide for its ride height. Also I looked into what kind of riding is available and its not really overnight or camping would have to be done from the car so I scrapped the idea of my bike holding some camping gear. I bought used xr200 forks and a LT80 rear shock instead of pitbike parts. I need to get the front tire and seat mounted so I can decide on a handlebar and then the brake line length.

I got my Wyoming ohv permit, im taking the bike there in 2 months. I was looking into what jet I would need for out there... around 9000ft and I read a size 75. I looked at the jet in my carb and it says 73. I live in IL at round 700 ft up and I've never messed with the carb before. I've been thinking about getting a jet assortment and trying out a few. I should check the plug, I havent ever before.

Attachments

The front tire is arriving today so I'll be able to get an idea of where I should locate the top of the rear shock. Im not sure where my knees will be so I haven't got a handle bar yet. I have a bar from an old mountain bike but its basically straight and it might hit my knees when im turning tight. My wyoming trip got moved forward to like 9 days so I need to figure out the bar, lines and yard test soon.

Attachments

The paint is dry and I'm putting it all back together. At some point i forgot about painting the bike yellow and i painted it this red oxide color but it came out looking brown. Anyways lol I got a threaded exhaust manifold and a threaded muffler for an 8hp briggs I plan to use a couple of black pipe elbows and a nip or two and dump the exhaust down between the swingarm. The amazon 400LB atv shock I got holds me up real good, its bouncy but it works. I'm real excited to ride it!

Attachments

I took my bike out to a local OHV park, Rocky Glen. I got a LOT of funny looks lol but I had a blast and got caked in mud. I completely underestimated how much and where the rear tire would fling mud. Also my back chain loosened up to the point it was coming off a lot. I slotted the swingarm so it can move to adjust the chain and there is 2 pinch bolts plus the axle to hold it. I have a feeling the motor pulled the axle a bit closer. I'm going to get some eye bolts and make the screw in and out kind of tensioning system to help keep the axle in place.

I put in a .016 pilot jet and a 93 main its running great. It responds to even the tinyest blip without problems now

Attachments