my project

my project is my gemini scrambler, made by San Tong Co. it suposed to look like my avitar. i have waiting to get it from delaware down here to georgia and i got most of it. some remaining parts are being gathered up by my brother and shipped. i have been busy collecting up metric bolts and ball bearings to re-load the forks back in. it seemed to take 18 1\4 inch balls in the bottom end and 23 3\16 balls in the top. the TC unit is gone, it looked alot like a rupp unit, but i have a used 30 series comet that looks like its going to fit. i just need two 5\8 x 1 3\8 bearings with the snap rings on them to load the jackshaft back in. i have a hs50 tecumseh to go on it needing some carb work thats in progress. this bike has been apart for about 20 years so all the hardware is gone and some small parts, but its starting to look more like a bike!
the biggest problem i have is my wheels are lost. i need at least one 10 inch spoke rupp style wheel or even just a hub. i realy need two, but i could use a different one i have for the front even though i dont want to. anyone out there have a wheel or two? even in bad shape?-phil:scooter:

i mainly worked on my engine today. i built a carb from parts and installed it. even though i still havent found a new replacement plastic fuel inlet fitting, there was enough of a stub left to get a fuel line on temporarily. she fired up and adjusted out great.
i also worked on getting the old pulleys off the engine and cleaning up the shaft and trial fitting the torque converter. my crankshaft stub is a little on the short side but i think its o.k.

yesterday i removed the fuel tank from my engine so it would fit in the frame, also the carb had a elbow for the air filter that had to go. the filter bolted back up to the carb no problem, but i need to figue out what to do with the hose that came from the valve cover (crankcase vent) and went on the air filter elbow. i bolted the engine down and started checking out the torque converter. oh boy, im in deep do-do. it origanaly had a rupp style t.c. with the hub part of the driven unit toward the frame. it seems i cant assemble this 30 series that way. the hub has to go outward because of the one almost flat sheeve. i can make a new jackshaft and turn out a new spacer to go between the bearing on the frame and the driven unit, but i cant cut keyways worth a darn. my drill press is way to sloppy in the spindle. the belt i have is also going to be to short. i dont mind making parts, infact i find it fun, but i hate it when i come across something like a new belt or my wheel problems because they stop me in my tracks. i dont know if i told you guys but i am very ill, with heart failure and other things. on a good day i can work for a couple of hours then i have to rest. i cant work at a job anymore so i cant make any money for parts. i am thankfull for all my hobby's or projects that keep me occupied and tinkering.-phil:scooter:

OldMan

phillip,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, both personal and with the bike... I'm betting you'll get it figured out though!

hey folks, it looks like im going to have to use the 10 inch spokes i have on the gemini. i hope i can weld up the holes in them and blast and paint em. i do have one problem though. i have two spoke nipples with the heads broke off, (the nut part). i think i can turn out two on my little lathe but i dont have any idea of what the metric thread is on the spokes. any ideas?? anybody got a couple of metric spoke nipples?? the wheels say tiawan on them so i guess there metric.-phil:hack:

well, i got my spokes fixed. i turned out two new nipples on the lathe. the closest i could match the thread was 5-40 machine thread. it worked out good and fit nice. i mounted the bare wheel on the bike and i guess i messed up the wheel spacers cuz it aint centered. back to the lathe again.:doah:

saturday i decided to work on my fuel system. i wanted to use a metal fuel inlet carb fitting to replace the broken plastic thing. i started trying to remove the metal stub on the carb that the plastic fitting goes on to and broke the whole casting off the carb. that was my last hs50 carb i had. im realy bumed out. i think all i had to do was replace the plastic part, but no, i had to try to pull the thing out!
my fuel tank is in pretty good shape inside, based on what i can see inside. just some minor surface rust spots and dust. what would be good to wash it out with? maybe something that will get some of the rust out of it?:mad2:

well i was able to find another carb body. i changed over the parts from the other carb after cleaning it. i trouble with the idle for a wile but i finaly got it worked out. i made up some parts for the throttle, and hooked up the cable, changed the oil in the engine too. the engine realy runs good. i made up a bunch of hardware for the front brake, and its ready for a cable. now for the rear brake!-phil:hack:

i got the scrambler to a point it runs now. it aint done, and i have made no effort to do any apperence work yet. i took a test ride and i am having a hard time getting it to track straight. i had my son watch it from the rear wile i rode it and he said it looked good to him, but it feels like its crabbing to me. the rear hub isnt symetrical so im having a hard time making sure the wheel is centered in the frame also. i have tryed to string the wheels, but i get a different reading on the left side than the right side???? all this is making it impossible to get my chain alignment right. any sugestions???-phil:scooter:

Is your swing arm tight where it pivots in the frame? If so you'll probably have to work with spacers and your adjusters til you get your alignment right. Good luck.:thumbsup: