My quarantine build

Since we're locked in our house for the foreseeable future, decided now is the perfect time to get some projects done. I thought it might be a fun challenge to do a build 100% from parts and supplies I already have. Not going to the store or ordering anything.

I decided to start with this bike. It's either a Bird Wren, or a Sears Runabout. If anyone has info on the differences, that would be greatly appreciated. Leaning towards a Sears since it has the clutch guard mount on the engine plate.

This bike actually has a cool story. I was in my driveway messing around with a mini bike when a guy stopped in front of my house. He said "you're into mini bikes? Do you want a frame to build?" I immediately said YES! and hopped on my bike to follow him back to his house. This bike is what he dragged out. Turns out this roller had been left by the previous owners. It had been sitting in his backyard since buying the house a couple years ago. He refused any money for it, just asked that I show him when its back on the road.

The plan going forward will be to wire wheel the whole thing back to bare metal, prime then paint. I'm limited to paint I already have, so it will likely be white wheels and navy blue on the frame. I should have a briggs or tecumseh laying around that will go on this.

How I dragged it home

Got started making a new scrub brake for it.

Crusty wheels. Will likely have to switch to running tubes with the tires. I doubt these will ever seal up again.

markus

Looks to be a 1972/73 version, they were only Sears at that point. The larger tubing and big gusseting make it a sears (Roper designation coded bike) I think 72/73 because the 1971 catalog shows them without fenders and 1972 and 1973 catalogs show as having them but they were green from 1971-73 which sorta kinda looks like may be under that blue. Here's a catalog shot and a shot of a Sears tire and auto center in 1973:

1973 sears store.jpg
1972searsfallwinter (2).jpg

Excellent info as usual, Markus. Thank you! I had a feeling the green underneath this house paint was the original, but I couldn't find any pictures of one of these in green.

Edit: also I see they came with tecumsehs. Looks like that is the direction I need to go!

markus

Craftsman actually for an engine around then (same as Tecumseh though), Something like a 143.601062 which was the H30/3hp, My mini bike cross reference book for their engines is published in 1972 so that may be 1971 numbers but if they are late enough they probably carried over for a year or so.

DaddyJohn

Crusty wheels. Will likely have to switch to running tubes with the tires. I doubt these will ever seal up again.
I've had pretty good luck with wheels like that by removing all of the rust and laying a somewhat thick coating of Rustoleum hammered metal paint around the interior of the rim. It can level out some of the pitting, and even seal pinholes in the central weld seam. Realizing, you may not have any of that at hand...:(

I've had pretty good luck with wheels like that by removing all of the rust and laying a somewhat thick coating of Rustoleum hammered metal paint around the interior of the rim. It can level out some of the pitting, and even seal pinholes in the central weld seam. Realizing, you may not have any of that at hand...:(
Not a bad idea. You are right though, I don't have anything like that.

I've got some new 5in tires that were still in the box for another project, and some tubes for some 6 in rims. Hoping I can get away with just doing that. We'll see how the clean up after sand blasting though.

Well, I tried cleaning the carb on this 3.5hp craftsman tecumseh but the float sank while I was soaking it. I dont have any other carbs i could steal one from, but I did have a brand new pit bike carb laying around. With a slight ovaling on the manifold holes, it basically bolted right on. All of the governor parts were missing so this actually works out pretty well. Just will have to take it easy and avoid scattering this thing.

Finally made some progress. Got the wheels blasted and painted. I also have the engine just about done but forgot to take pics.

Next step is stripping the paint off the frame!

Looks good so far..............
Thank you!

Well, I had to break my own rule and order some parts. I couldn't make any combination of the tires I have work. I ordered these tires and tubes, as well as a gasket set for the Tecumseh.

Extremely happy with how the wheels turned out. I have the assemblies just about done, just need to install the bearings and make up some spacers for in between the bearings.

And how the engine currently sits. Need to get the pull start cover painted then the engine can go back together.

The engine is 100% done now, with the exception of maybe some decals later.

For the throttle, I had to use a pit bike cable with this style carb. I didn't want to use new style grips though, so I modified a more vintage looking throttle to accept the threaded end of the pit bike cable. This setup works perfectly. No slop, and it snaps right back without issue.

As far as the engine goes, I got rid of the primer bulb holes in the cover, ditched the snow shield around the pull start, and replaced the mitten handle with one I had in the parts bin. I think it looks a lot better this way.