My Taylor muffler

So I'm putting a Tecumseh 6 H.P. on my Bonanza 1100, and as far as I know Taylor never made a muffler for a 6 H.P. so I
decided to make my own, scaled up a little larger. The exhaust port measures one inch so I bent some .090 wall tubing into the shape I needed. The bends ended up being to far apart so I cut and welded it. Next I made some dies on the lathe to press two 2 1/4 freeze plugs into the shapes I needed. I then made the flange, drilled the holes, and welded it all together. Even though it was a lot of work, I think I'm going to start over and make a muffler like the one that came on the Bonanza 1100. The one that has a short side and a long side from the seam and seven holes in the /end. The only problem is I have is I don't have one and I don't know if it has a baffle or a perforated tube inside. anyone know ?

markus

Cattail, that is SICK! way cool seeing that version muff upsized like that :thumbsup: The little round 7 hole muffs have a slightly flared upward from the seam line baffle that just has a hole in the center that chokes it back down to the inlet size if that helps any.

For the time period, The medium frame H engines supplied to mini bike manufacturers was a little different though. It was louvered and of course sized larger than the 7 hole/small frame muffs.

Here is the insides, this is about the best I could get with a flashlight, hope it helps (the larger has a louver, one lip goes toward the inlet, the other toward the outlet side, cocked at an angle to the outlet louvers.

The book does not specify the specs for the small frame muffs, it does have some of the specs of the larger one though, which would probably be a good round about sizing if you were going to upsize the 7 hole anyway.

Note Bonanza and many others are listed as being supplied with the louvered muff.

Hard to photo those my parts book is about 6" thick and the taylor products section is about 3/4 down the line so taking the binder apart to pull them out is a bitch. the 31287 is the part number for that one, and the outside diameter (which got cut off in the photo is the same as the shorter 32459 which can be seen easy.

delray

looks good, i like the muffler case just little bigger then the factory case. i would say that big block would run good that way.
maybe less restrictive.
i like you using the freeze plug. softer metal to bend up i would think and the right size for your project build.:thumbsup:

delray

ole4, i believe he made a die for that one too.

cattailhaas
wondering how much clearance you had to have between the outer and inner dies to form the part.
thickness of the metal plus a few more thousands or more?
very well done on making a exhaust/muffler.......:thumbsup:

mans best friend..................lathe

Thanks Markus, that helps a lot. More info then I thought I would get, your knowledge and literature are priceless. Maybe I will draw a picture of what I believe you are describing the inside of the little one looks like just to be sure before I get started. Even though I'm using the big engine I want to have a muffler that looks like the 3 hp one so at the first glance the bike will look stock. Next I plan on making a gas tank like the original only slightly larger....

The pin on the die is .995 and the hole on the other is 1.100 which leaves .105 total clearance, .0525 for each side and I crammed .118 thickness of metal between it to insure I would have a press fit on to the tube ( no leaks ) . So no clearance really. And the flange I used 3/16 plate and just drilled the holes in it and then cut the outside shape after that. Thanks everybody for the comments. Hope you all don't get tired of seeing my projects....

Last edited:

markus

Thanks Markus, that helps a lot. More info then I thought I would get, your knowledge and literature are priceless. Maybe I will draw a picture of what I believe you are describing the inside of the little one looks like just to be sure before I get started. Even though I'm using the big engine I want to have a muffler that looks like the 3 hp one so at the first glance the bike will look stock. Next I plan on making a gas tank like the original only slightly larger....
Had this been a few weeks ago I could have sliced what was left of and old damaged/rusty muff open for you that was still attached to a block I threw out :doah:...been cleaning up and cleaning out!!! Once you mentioned making a scaled up stock type muff I kinda figured you may be trying to give it that brochure look, Downside with a tank on the medium H is the carb is height, might have to run a pump. There was a member a few years ago that cut a standard tank down to the half tank size: https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/93260-cutting-tecumseh-gas-tank.html I should have one of those half tanks left if you need any measurements from it in the future.

Hey Markus, if you have time to measure that gas tank I sure could use those numbers also. So here is a picture of what I think is the direction of the flare on the baffle in the small muffler. am I right ? Any idea of the size of the hole ? Thanks...

markus

Hey Markus, if you have time to measure that gas tank I sure could use those numbers also. So here is a picture of what I think is the direction of the flare on the baffle in the small muffler. am I right ? Any idea of the size of the hole ? Thanks...
yes, exactly like that, on the one I showed in the pics it cones up like 3/4" from the bottom of the seam line goes flat and then the hole is in the center best I can figure the hole is 3/4", I appears to be the same size as what the hole in the can would be if you removed the threaded inlet There are also 4 divits that go around the side.....So this may be way off and not make sense ( its early not much coffee in my but bear with me!) It sorta kinda is like a Ford Exploder/Ranger centercap from the 90's/2000's, but not....if they made them in 4 lug and had the center knocked out for a manual locking hub :laugh:

Like on one of my old danger rangers in the backgroud:

Last edited: