my trike im building

got bored today after picking up a bunch of free stuff including 2 lawn tractors and a 1984 kawasaki ninja gpz900. anyways one of the tractors had a straight axle with diff on and a sprocket so i made some brackets and bolted the axle up to a chopped up speedway frame that i got. heres how it sits now still got to put the motor on it figure out some kind of brakes for it . it will be powered by an 8hp briggs motor flathead. any ideas for brakes? i was thinking of using one of the hydraulic master and caliper on the sprocket or mounting a rotor from the motorcycle on the other end of the diff housing.

The trouble with a diff on a trike is you lift the inside tire at all and it slips and when it comes back down it comes down hard because youve got nomore thrust and grabs and bam your on your a$$. Good news is you can easily remedy the situation by packing the diff with heavy greese. Give it a try as is first maby your an easy rider and it wont be a problem. Looks like a cool trike otherwise :thumbsup:

well i got it going and been bombing around on it. i need to get a different rear sprocket to get some more power to the ground. it has no power off the line right now but holy crap is it fast. still no brakes yet LOL but im doing those tomorrow. this is my nephew sitting on it over at my sisters house.

got bored today after picking up a bunch of free stuff including 2 lawn tractors and a 1984 kawasaki ninja gpz900. anyways one of the tractors had a straight axle with diff on and a sprocket so i made some brackets and bolted the axle up to a chopped up speedway frame that i got. heres how it sits now still got to put the motor on it figure out some kind of brakes for it . it will be powered by an 8hp briggs motor flathead. any ideas for brakes? i was thinking of using one of the hydraulic master and caliper on the sprocket or mounting a rotor from the motorcycle on the other end of the diff housing.
Cool Lookin. :thumbsup: :smile:

well i got it going and been bombing around on it. i need to get a different rear sprocket to get some more power to the ground. it has no power off the line right now but holy crap is it fast. still no brakes yet LOL but im doing those tomorrow. this is my nephew sitting on it over at my sisters house.
I like it ! :biggrin:

Good job.

The seat looks a bit stiff.......

Of all the tractors I have around here I still dont have one with a easy to use rear axle they all have transaxles.

it has a seat on it now. the motor is a modified 8hp. i got the motor for a cheap price from an ex gokart racer that had atleast 100 motors in his shop. im still surprised this motor fit in the frame without any clearance issues. anyone know where i can pick #40 chain rear sprockets for cheap? i need atleast a 66 tooth or a 70tooth. it only has a 45 tooth sprocket now. speed calc. estimates a top speed of 64mph. thats way to high want it somewhere around 35 but good pick up. its like starting out in 4th gear in a car now as it is.

I may build a trike in the future using a tractor transaxle with belt drive centrifugal clutch and the front of a old ct90.I'd like a bit wider rear axle though.Maybe the 5-speed transaxle with U-joints and rear suspension.

I love seeing all the cool projects like this trike and I'm getting more excited about being able to work on some of my own projects more this summer.

i encourage people to build stuff like this because i love seeing the creativeness people come up with.

my axle was longer but the diff was offset so i cut it down. its not as tippy as you would think.

if you just stop the differential housing the wheels can still roll if one has less weight on it. It's not the best idea to do if ya have kids riding it or hilly terrain or something.. Just a thought.. Ya might just want to run one brake per axle..