Need 6.5 HP Greyhound engine muffler ideas

I have a 3/4" pipe thread sausage type muffler on a header attached to a Greyhound 6.5 HP engine via a 24" header. The original muffler cannot be used due to the placement of the engine and air intake. The original muffler was very quiet.
I need a quiet muffler,even if I have to weld it on the header. The sausage muffle is too loud.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
i have tried every muffler under the sun trying to quiet down a predator, even welding 2 sausage mufflers back to back still didnt work, dirtbike and scooter mufflers also dont work, gotta be a factory muffler. i have cut off the stock muffler and moved it out of the way then made tailpipes just to keep the bikes quiet.

I have not tried the "Quite-Tone" 3/4" inlet muffler. Have you tried this muffler? It looks like a sausage muffler with a bell and perforated plate at its end.

I found something today that looks like it will work very well.
On youtube I saw a guy talking about modifying a sausage muffler and he was so blase about it,it has to work. So I tried it today and it works very well if you have the right stuff.
You drill out the "dimples" that are holding the muffler together. These are located around the exit hole of the muffler. Mine had three deep dimples. While it looks as though the perforated inner pipe comes out, it does not.
Once you have drilled out the dimples, place the threaded end in a padded vice. I use old cutting board pieces to protect the object.
Take a plastic face hammer and start to rap on the outer edge of the upper half of the muffler body. Keep moving around the muffler. The crimp done by the factory will break loose after a few raps. This loosens the crimp in the middle.
Place a wooded dowel or brass rod into the exit opening of the muffler.
Holding the upper half of the muffler in your hand,strike the dowel or brass rod with a hammer. This will drive the two half's apart.
I did not have real "muffler Packing" and tried fiberglass insulation. It woks very well but will not last as it is blown out of the small holes on the inner tube of thee muffler.
The "muffler packing" is a much better idea if your going to use fiberglass.
I'm thinking that "Chore-Boy" scrubbing pads made of copper or stainless steel will work much better and allow better flow through and still slow the exhaust gasses.
O.k. Back to the two half's of your muffler.
After you fill or wrap the inside of the muffler with what ever you decide to use, shove the two half's back together and twist and align the holes you drilled in the inner tube and the outer half.
I found that there is no room for pop-rivets, or screws. I found Allen set screws works perfectly holding the two half's from trying to blow apart. This way you can replace or try another filler in the future.
I do not have a dB Meter to measure the sound reduction, but it is noticeably quieter. Engine performance did not seem to be effected.
Give it a try,it works very well ,cheap and easy to do.

UPDATE: I packed the muffler with Chore-Boy copper scrubbing pads. It really reduces the dB's. Give it a try.
Thanks for the great tip, Rob. I will try the Chore-Boy packing idea. I too was thinking about quieting down the exhaust, but had no idea what to use for a muffler. The stock muffler is much quieter than the header with a hot dog muffler, but it's a bulky, cumbersome piece.

Last edited:
I tried using the Chore-Boy scrub pad. It does quiet it down considerably, but I think it makes the exhaust too restrictive.
I removed it and added fiberglass matting. It quiets it down somewhat, but I'm not gonna worry about it. I might reuse the scrub pad, but flatten it out so it hugs the wall and won't be as restrictive.

I opened the muffler up again, and there was no sign of any of the fiberglass matting left. I ended up replacing it with the scrub pad again, but this time I stretched it out and beat on it to make it flatter to fit the outside wall of the muffler.
Though I haven't tried it since. I don't think it will be restrictive as it was before. There was no kind of sound deadening material in the muffler. Just a pipe in the center with holes drilled in it that looks like the barrel of an old machine gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the scrub pad ideas, I'm thinking of how to clamp a temporary, generator muffler on the back of one of mine for a little stealthier riding. Maybe if I can find small enough flex tube. Man, when did people get so aggressively uptight? Seems like you only have to get within earshot of one person and they are ready to start quoting vehicle and traffic law. Sorry, I must have cabin fever already!:shrug: