Need a Briggs experts advice on a short crankshaft

I have a good 4 horse Briggs that came off a tiller. I am going to put it on my CAT 250X that I am piecing together. I plan to paint and detail it and add the 3HP stickers so that it looks "correct". It has the correct diameter shaft but it is a little short. I don't remember how much... I will have to measure it again. I was thinking about just turning a short piece that would fill in the length and bolt it together. What do you guys think? Good enough for a stock, mostly display if not just display bike? Display or not chances are it will get tested out a little..... I cant see the added effort to change the crank for this bike. It is waaayyy to small for me or the wife to ride. We are both tall... Thanks for the input.

125ccCrazy

I have had to do a similar mod on a couple engines using a comet tav set up..If you have a junk 3/4 crank you can cut the desired length off of it, drill the center all the way through with a real snug fit to the 5/16 bolt you will be using and depending on what clutch your using put a piece of key stock in the keyway to keep them lined up.. on a stock engine and normal riding conditions you will be fine with doing this..

This has been discussed here before just get a 3/4 jackshaft drill out to 5/16 and cut to correct length. It already has keyway slot. Available at OldMiniBikes warehouse

markus

you do know that the 4hp is physically much larger than the 3 right? How short is the crank and which way will the clutch face (chain in or out) that would be a factor for keyway placement since you may not be able to lock the clutch down if you go that route.

you do know that the 4hp is physically much larger than the 3 right? How short is the crank and which way will the clutch face (chain in or out) that would be a factor for keyway placement since you may not be able to lock the clutch down if you go that route.
Nope..... I had no idea.... Truly thought they might be like a small block cheby.... All the same external dimensions. Live and learn... This is all new to me. I have never messed with these little motors until the last year or so.

Dang, I guess that blows that idea out of the water. Thanks for bringing that up. I truly had no idea they were different. The little 4 horse I have runs good and is clean as can be. And I have no idea which way the clutch will need to be turned. I haven't mocked anything up yet.

markus

the 2-3hp are the same the 4-5hp are bigger and the same Never payed attention if anyone has done with the larger engine or not, but you may have some fitment issues regarding the tire and tank so at mock up you might want to make sure you have the rear tire mounted up to make sure that clears alright as well. I cant remember which way the clutch sat on the cat bikes, I just put a 4hp back onto a bike that had a 3hp put on it for a younger rider and I swear I had to readjust the alignment on the jackshaft a little, but that may have been just something that was out of whack.

Good luck with it, I would stuff it in there if it fits, The pulling power from a stop that the 4-5 hp's have over the 3hp is really noticeable for adult sized people :thumbsup: