need advice on a pushmower

This mower is going on its third season but it's only been used for triming so she's seen light duty. Yesterday it was running fine and then just stopped, we didn't hit anything, the blades are good, had fule....

I had a chancen to look at it today, hears what I know:
-good spark
-getting fule
-oil is good
-has compression
-it started, kind of, on starter fluid but backfires and acts like a flamer thrower
-it kind of gurgles when pulling it over.

Is it possible this thing jumped timming?
Any suggestions, thanks

MB165

do you mulch grass? If you 'overloaded' it with thick grass it could have shut off, the gurgling could be oil passing up the breather pipe, it usually occurs if the mower is tipped up on its side, it will soak the air filter with oil.
that engine is a honda, it could have jumped timing, it uses a cogged cam belt and plastic camshaft. what you describe when using starter fliud makes me think a fouled spark plug, but it just shut off......that points me to checking cam timing next, as long as your telling the truth about not hitting a solid object.....flywheel key.

Last edited:
It's the truth, my wife was using it when it died but the blades were the first thing I checked :cursing:
the air cleaner is clear and clean, she was mowing on a hill so I thought about oil in the filter as well. I didn't drain the carb though. I wont get a chance to pull it apart till after the holidly but I'll post what I find.
thanks again

MikeBear

Well, make sure you disconnect the spark plug first if you are under it and spinning the blade by hand. If it starts, it won't be pretty...