Need clutch Help!!

I have a new in the box Briggs & Straton 5hp engine that has a 1'' diameter output shaft, I would like to mount this on a mini bike project , my problem is locating a clutch that will mount w/ sprocket to the inside twards the side cover of the engine so I could line up the chain to the rear sprocket. Anyone run into this problem before?? Thanks for any help Tony

Clutch Help!!

Thanks Hent, I did some research & contacted Noram clutch in Mil. WI. they have a clutch for the 1'' diam. shaft that mounts in board or out board for #35 chain it has 17 teeth how would that efect the gearing I have a 60 tooth sprocket in the rear. could I use this clutch ?? Thanks Tony

Project
moving from a 60 tooth to a 17 will give less power and more high end. 35 chain is pretty light. I know Arctic Cat switched from a 35 to a 41 chain from model year 70 to 71. The 35 was too light and broke.

Project
moving from a 60 tooth to a 17 will give less power and more high end. 35 chain is pretty light. I know Arctic Cat switched from a 35 to a 41 chain from model year 70 to 71. The 35 was too light and broke.
Take a look at this website:

http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniClutchCometSCS400.html/mv_session_id=rAccjVhD

A 17th clutch with a 60th drive sproket will give 10.2 to 1 ratio. The average being around 6 to 1. What you will have is a bike the is great down low, but will run
out of legs at the top end. Most minbikes with a straight clutch to drive sproket run a 12th clutch with a 72 tooth sproket and get along very nicely.

If it were me I would invest in a TAV2 Torque a Verter. They are worth every penny you pay for them. You are already looking at 50-60 dollars for a clutch setup. Jump on ebay and find one for 100 and you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
Take a look at this website:

http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniClutchCometSCS400.html/mv_session_id=rAccjVhD

A 17th clutch with a 60th drive sproket will give 10.2 to 1 ratio. The average being around 6 to 1. What you will have is a bike the is great down low, but will run
out of legs at the top end. Most minbikes with a straight clutch to drive sproket run a 12th clutch with a 72 tooth sproket and get along very nicely.

If it were me I would invest in a TAV2 Torque a Verter. They are worth every penny you pay for them. You are already looking at 50-60 dollars for a clutch setup. Jump on ebay and find one for 100 and you wont be disappointed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 12/72 "run out of legs" sooner than a 17/60? I don't think that the 17/60 would have anything down low, especially compared to the 12/72.

Anyway, no, you don't want to run a 17 tooth front sprocket, especially not with a 60 tooth rear. You'd eat the clutch up trying to get it going. With a 60 tooth rear, you probably want closer to a 10 tooth up front. Then, if you had too much low end, and not enough top end, you could switch to a 12 tooth up front. And by the way, 10/60 is the same ratio as 12/72, and to have that same ratio with a 17 tooth front, you would need to run a 102 tooth rear! Good luck.

Clutch Help!!

Thanks for all your input- replys, I have found a solution for this 5 hp B/S w/ the 1" dia shaft, I have removed the crank shaft & I will have it turned down from the 1" to a 3/4 " dia with this done I could run the correct gearing & have a large selections of clutches aval. that will be bi directional.
Thanks Tony