Need Heald Super Bronc Parts

toomanytoys

That's an amazing buy for a 100 bucks. You need the right engine, the TAV backing plate and brake assembly. The latter will be hard to find.

I have a lighted HM80 originally from a super bronc. But I wouldn't come off of it for cheap.

They are welded in. I’m planning on grinding the welds off, putting it back to how it’s supposed to be
I've seen many welded together over the years. You may want to leave them, they were a loose fit from the factory. There may not be much meat left if/when you get it apart. The early ones only had one bolt holding them in at the bottom, a common fix is to run another bolt just above or below in a 90 degree angle to help stiffen the slop. Pencil kickstands were on the earlier years as well, guessing around late 70's to early '80s but without the original engine no way to tell for sure. There is a serial number stamped on the front seat mount (looks like a door hinge, cause, well, it is) that may help you narrow it down. May want to ask the seller if the motor is still around? Quite possible just by seeing all of the "treasure" in the background. It should be a white OR black Tecumseh HM80 OR HM100.
Good luck with it!

chrisr

The front brake is off an early model Heald being the brake is on the inside of the hub, later Heald went to a band brake on the outside of the front hub.

I also agree with the assessment on the handlebars maybe just clean up the welds and leave them as is since they can be pretty sloppy from model to model.

I've seen many welded together over the years. You may want to leave them, they were a loose fit from the factory. There may not be much meat left if/when you get it apart. The early ones only had one bolt holding them in at the bottom, a common fix is to run another bolt just above or below in a 90 degree angle to help stiffen the slop. Pencil kickstands were on the earlier years as well, guessing around late 70's to early '80s but without the original engine no way to tell for sure. There is a serial number stamped on the front seat mount (looks like a door hinge, cause, well, it is) that may help you narrow it down. May want to ask the seller if the motor is still around? Quite possible just by seeing all of the "treasure" in the background. It should be a white OR black Tecumseh HM80 OR HM100.
Good luck with it!
Thanks for the input, and info. I did what you said and just cleaned the welds up. I was able to straighten the bars as well. And I looked on the hinge, and the only number, or numbers I can see are 71. Would that make it a 1971? Or it’s #71 of whatever year it is?

The front brake is off an early model Heald being the brake is on the inside of the hub, later Heald went to a band brake on the outside of the front hub.

I also agree with the assessment on the handlebars maybe just clean up the welds and leave them as is since they can be pretty sloppy from model to model.
Like I said in the other reply, I found the number 71 on the seat hinge

Just picked up a Super Bronc for $100 the other day and am looking for parts, including a period correct engine. I’m interested in any and all parts. Don’t know the year. I’m located in Canby, OR 97013
I have a seat with the dual shock assembly as well as the tav system and brake setup... Seat is re-upolstered as stock with the rear Heald sew-on logo in great shape. text if interested 602 566 3595 I also have a 4 hour ne 8hp Tech motor with 2 carbs and spare air filter.. not original but similar. up to you... 275 for seat and shocks, 175 for tav setup 175 for motor text if interested I customized mine after I purchased so, no need for stock stuff.. bike is for sale as well if you like quality customs...will paint to your specification. " no purist haters please"... some build photos for comparison

Attachments