Need help decoding Tecumseh HS40

Does the serial number mean built on the 225th day of the year 1970 on this? I hope so because this is a 70 Rupp ?? 20181118_152404.jpg Thank you for your help in advance mark 20181118_152410.jpg 20181118_152448.jpg

on the bright side, that is a 1971 Rascal frame so your only 1 year off not 2 ;)
Thank you I certainly appreciate your help. Wasn't sure about the Rupp whether it was the chopper or the Rascal. How can you tell? Is it the long chain guard connector?
looks like a repop vin tag
I bet it is a repop as the guy ahead of me had the motor restored. The original is underneath of it I'll take a look and make sure that that's the right build date and all of that. No gas or oil in it completely rebuilt I'll be firing it up as we ride our bikes ... thank you again everybody any comments or criticism completely appreciated. Mark

The whole tag thing is out of control. I'm seeing shrouds now sold on ebay with the tags missing, then the tag in another auction for big bucks. Saw a tag today for $58 or something. At some point, one has to consider that any bike that came originally with a Tecumseh is never going to be so valuable as to warrant $58 engine serial number tags on period correct, or pseudo-period correct engines.

I have "never" had anyone crouch down low, grab their reading glasses, then look up at me with a gleam in their eye and say, "Dave, there is no way that 1972 HS40 was on that 1970 Cat."

Of course I haven't actually met the people from here who WOULD do that yet, LOL but at $58 I will take my chances and bullshit everyone when I am talking about a $400 bike.

markus

Thank you I certainly appreciate your help. Wasn't sure about the Rupp whether it was the chopper or the Rascal. How can you tell? Is it the long chain guard connector?
Removable scrub brake and forks are pressed on the bottom at the axle mounts are 2 distinctive stand outs.

Removable scrub brake and forks are pressed on the bottom at the axle mounts are 2 distinctive stand outs.
Marcus , Your expertise is greatly appreciated. And time earned I'm sure. Guess I don't need the Chopper decal I ordered. Lol...Oh well, looks good in the man cave and one never knows when you run across a bike that you'll need it on. Mark

The whole tag thing is out of control. I'm seeing shrouds now sold on ebay with the tags missing, then the tag in another auction for big bucks. Saw a tag today for $58 or something. At some point, one has to consider that any bike that came originally with a Tecumseh is never going to be so valuable as to warrant $58 engine serial number tags on period correct, or pseudo-period correct engines.

I have "never" had anyone crouch down low, grab their reading glasses, then look up at me with a gleam in their eye and say, "Dave, there is no way that 1972 HS40 was on that 1970 Cat."

Of course I haven't actually met the people from here who WOULD do that yet, LOL but at $58 I will take my chances and bullshit everyone when I am talking about a $400 bike.
Hello Dave , I always appreciate hearing from you . You add a little comedy and definitely know what you're talking about. That's amazing about the VIN tags being sold separately( I noticed that on eBay as well) and shrouds being bought to change the year of the engine. I wouldn't think anybody would do that. Being an automobile wholesaler and used car dealer , switched Vin tags are definitely a No-No in my business punishable by prison and huge fine. In the hobby business Anything Goes. And of course I can't complain I only paid 500 for the entire bike . Of course I probably overpaid lol. I try not to pay over $300 if you're up to 400 you're ahead of me hahaha ..Never even looked at the VIN number on the engine just noticed that it was completely rebuilt with a chromed exhaust new carburetor new paint new sticker, look good enough for me... I'm certainly not selling them at Barrett-Jackson. Hahaha.. Mark

Oops there's no original Vin tag underneath the one I pictured. .. amazing. They could have at least figured out what year the bike was and put the phony one on to match it :) none of my stuff are show bikes so I sure don't care.. it's just funny to me...
Thanks again everybody I've had a good time just talking about it Mark

capguncowboy

If you're talking about my listings, those two parts were never together. The shroud was something I'd had laying around for a long time and the bonanza ID plate is from another shroud that was rusted out on the bottom half.

I agree with you though. Paying that much for a serial plate is not something I would do, but some guys can't sleep at night knowing the plate on their engine isn't genuine. So, if it has no value to me, but it has value to them, I say give it to them. I'll put the money toward another project

If you're talking about my listings, those two parts were never together. The shroud was something I'd had laying around for a long time and the bonanza ID plate is from another shroud that was rusted out on the bottom half.

I agree with you though. Paying that much for a serial plate is not something I would do, but some guys can't sleep at night knowing the plate on their engine isn't genuine. So, if it has no value to me, but it has value to them, I say give it to them. I'll put the money toward another project
Nope. I was talking about Ebay listings, some of which are currently listed. I am not in the business of buying and selling, or keeping track of who is whom here and on Ebay. There are some asking prices out there (and here) that are ridiculous. There are some restorers with more money than sense, and it is up to the entrepreneurs to take advantage of that. It is also ridiculous to me that someone would remove the data plate from a shroud to try and make more money. It's chicken feed difference, and anyone who knows what they are doing is going to be just fine paying a little extra for the shroud that goes with the plate.

That was my comment. Sorry to all I offended. Not. :)

The only time I will know who a seller is, is if I buy something from them, and I recognize their name from here- and even then, only if it's the same nom de plume.