Need help pulling the trigger on a TAV

I guess I’ve been reading to many reviews. I’m leaning towards the go power sport TAV, but they are considerably more money than Amazon. I think I can adjust the plate (cut it) so I don’t have to put the risers in. Also I have the 16mm crank. If I go with Amazon I’ll have to get an adapter. The go power sports gives u all that. 60,70$ vs 200$ like why? Anyone send me a link to one that has a good rep on Amazon? Coleman ct 200u 16 mm shaft, thanks guys

SAS289

The problem is that there are too many ways to do it. You'll ultimately have to make the choice on which install you want. There are quite a few videos on YouTube that cover this.

I would never buy one of those expensive kits. For my install I just got the cheap ebay TAV, made my own riser, and got the longer engine mount bolts at the hardware store. For the 16mm PTO issue I used a different engine that I already had prior to getting the bikes. I have second bike that is stock with a 16mm PTO. If I wanted a TAV on it I would change out the crankshaft or just swap in an extra engine I have. If I didn't have an extra crankshaft or engine I would buy a crankshaft for it. I don't care for the adapters. The Honda clone (196) crankshafts are easy to find and are about $30 last I looked.

The problem is that there are too many ways to do it. You'll ultimately have to make the choice on which install you want. There are quite a few videos on YouTube that cover this.

I would never buy one of those expensive kits. For my install I just got the cheap ebay TAV, made my own riser, and got the longer engine mount bolts at the hardware store. For the 16mm PTO issue I used a different engine that I already had prior to getting the bikes. I have second bike that is stock with a 16mm PTO. If I wanted a TAV on it I would change out the crankshaft or just swap in an extra engine I have. If I didn't have an extra crankshaft or engine I would buy a crankshaft for it. I don't care for the adapters. The Honda clone (196) crankshafts are easy to find and are about $30 last I looked.

oh Ok, do I have to get a new gasket when I pull the cover?

I used one of the cheap TAV kits I got from Amazon, Worked fine. I thought the quality was great but did not like the cover it came with. For 60 bucks well worth it.

If you take off the side cover it's a good idea to have a gasket ready. If you pull it off and the gasket stays in one piece it is possible to get away with reusing it.
where do u guys order engine parts from? Crank, gasket.. what is a reputable website for these small engines. Amazon good for parts for hiusun parts? Or do I use go power sports to get marked up Amazon parts..

SAS289

There's plenty of suppliers out there to choose from. I'm sure you could find a crankshaft for your 196 on Amazon. I recently threw some parts into an engine. The parts I used came from NR racing, Studz racing, and eBay.

If you order engine parts there's no need to be specific with "Hisun". Your engine is a Honda GX200 clone. Most every major supplier should have clone parts. Here's an example: DJ-1275 Clone 196cc/GX200 Stock Crankshaft - ARC Racing

Over the years a lot of guys have bought new engines as a solution to the 16mm crankshaft. It is a good option if you have the money because you'll be starting with a bigger engine 208cc or better. And these days there are a lot more engine options out there to choose from and just about every one of them are a better option than a Predator 212. Early this year I was close to getting a 208 from Northern tool for $135 shipped but ended up choosing a 224.

The only thing "wrong" with the Hisun 196 is the crankshaft. They are a better quality engine than most know. I recently did a bare block side by side compare of a 224 block versus a Hisun 196 looking at the inside of the block. The Hisun block casting and a few other details were much more impressive than the 224 block.

PatrickCraik

Well, I hope Comets employees have a back up plan, I doubt they'll be employed much longer. The owners will probably, if not already, start buying their stuff via china and fire their employees. Sad state of affairs. Hoorray for me and FU*# You. But hey, I saved some money!.....I'm done with this one. I'm working on a Ruttman shorty with a newer Tec 4HP. I'm gonna concentrate on it and post a few pics.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Well, I hope Comets employees have a back up plan, I doubt they'll be employed much longer. The owners will probably, if not already, start buying their stuff via china and fire their employees. Sad state of affairs. Hoorray for me and FU*# You. But hey, I saved some money!.....I'm done with this one. I'm working on a Ruttman shorty with a newer Tec 4HP. I'm gonna concentrate on it and post a few pics.
Saving 140 dollars buys me a predator to go with my TAV. Maybe you are independently wealthy but 140 dollar savings is a lot of money for me.

I bought the gopowersports TAV kit and it has worked pretty well for me so far. The belt has held up with very little noticable wear and it bolted right up to the hisun on my Coleman 200. I do believe I will play with weights and springs to find a comfortable spot in a RPM range that works best for me.

While yes, it is made in china, I appreciated the fact that it was bolt and go and I didn't have to make 2 hour + round trips to the local 'we might have it but it's in the wrong bin' depot store.

Sure. I buy American made when I can afford it, but let's be honest here, 3/4th of the US could start buying American made over night and we'd still be f****d.

And as the other poster noted above me, I'd bet cash money the same TAV kit is available on Amazon, minus the belt.

There's plenty of suppliers out there to choose from. I'm sure you could find a crankshaft for your 196 on Amazon. I recently threw some parts into an engine. The parts I used came from NR racing, Studz racing, and eBay.

If you order engine parts there's no need to be specific with "Hisun". Your engine is a Honda GX200 clone. Most every major supplier should have clone parts. Here's an example: DJ-1275 Clone 196cc/GX200 Stock Crankshaft - ARC Racing

Over the years a lot of guys have bought new engines as a solution to the 16mm crankshaft. It is a good option if you have the money because you'll be starting with a bigger engine 208cc or better. And these days there are a lot more engine options out there to choose from and just about every one of them are a better option than a Predator 212. Early this year I was close to getting a 208 from Northern tool for $135 shipped but ended up choosing a 224.

The only thing "wrong" with the Hisun 196 is the crankshaft. They are a better quality engine than most know. I recently did a bare block side by side compare of a 224 block versus a Hisun 196 looking at the inside of the block. The Hisun block casting and a few other details were much more impressive than the 224 block.
I’ve read the hiusun is not a bad engine, I might just run an adapter. Quick and easy, for now.