Need help with “new” used mini bike

Hello all, I purchased a mini bike off market place. The guy didn’t know much about it as he got it in trade for a job he was doing. From research I’ve decided it’s a Baja warrior 200. It has a new predator 212 swapped in it and when I opened the clutch cover I found a torque converter. The problem is the whole inside of the cover is a fine coating of rubber dust. Looks like it’s eating the belt. I’m not sure of the brand but I did Google the belt info and saw it was sold by go power spots for a 30 series torque converter. Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting this thing back in tip top shape. AFE4D1D5-11A1-43E4-B4DE-7D166D2F498D.jpeg 43AE4FE5-B903-4AF8-8406-B88F5F6458BB.jpeg 12703706-6A41-44DD-9C38-2789D7FEB04C.jpeg 500680A3-ED00-423B-A492-AFEC93A663A9.jpeg 22B4F1E0-3F78-4CDA-8824-EA9663001059.jpeg 2BAAAFAC-5AA9-4245-ABB7-329350E41E00.jpeg 44B1EE85-CCD5-4FC4-B384-EFBB0A51FF57.jpeg 8BBABB54-9575-4C97-9FB8-28C06AEE252E.jpeg 1DF33181-067B-4DF8-B69E-0EF77B7C2BF5.jpeg

I've been running a Chinese tc for a few weeks now. It's squeaky when you are pushing the bike in and out of the shop. I've got a little rubber dust too. otherwise the bike is running awesome. I would run it until your new belt comes/old one dies.

SAS289

From looking at the 6th picture it looks like the pulley alignment is off. Looks like the drive pulley assembly needs spaced further out on the crankshaft. Or try it without the keyed washer on the jackshaft which would move the driven in.

Pulley alignment is important. I use a straightedge on the back of the pullies.

From looking at the 6th picture it looks like the pulley alignment is off. Looks like the drive pulley assembly needs spaced further out on the crankshaft. Or try it without the keyed washer on the jackshaft which would move the driven in.

Pulley alignment is important. I use a straightedge on the back of the pullies.
That’s a sharp eye, I’ll make sure they are even when the new belt comes and I install it. I appreciate the tip!

If you find a sharp spot or scrape mark on the area where that belt rides that will shred rubber off the belt. Smooth the defect out and it will stop eating belts.
Thanks for the tip! I didn’t see in sharp parts but I haven’t ripped it completely apart yet. I’ll make sure to check this when I get the new belt in!

SAS289

If you find a sharp spot or scrape mark on the area where that belt rides that will shred rubber off the belt. Smooth the defect out and it will stop eating belts.
Yes. The splined area of the movable sheave can have sharp edges that will eat up a section of the belt and can be cleaned up. With his alignment the belt is going to favor the side of the movable sheave instead of the fixed sheave side. Any new belt would get eaten up at idle and engagement unless the alignment is corrected.

So far I'm not having any problems with a cheap Amazon belt. And it's getting hit with more power and RPM at the belt shift than a typical stock geared Baja/Coleman with a TAV.

LIVIT

You're getting some great advice. I'm also running a cheap Amazon belt. The belt that came with my Amazon TAV wore out quickly and I thought it was due too it not being up too the torque my 223 hemi stroker was demanding. I just recently changed my sprocket to a 60T and found out then that the previous owner had the rear axle nut way too tight and the rear wheel would not free spin. So in addition to getting your belt and chain alignment right, check how freely your driven pulley and rear wheel spins. There is several good utube vids on TAV maintenance and proper areas to use dry lube on. Since I fixed my issue, I'm hardly getting any belt dust with the new cheap belt and it all seems to be working a lot more efficiently.

toomanytoys

your belt alignment is definitely way off. That’s shredding your belt.

a bit of belt dust is normal. I clean and lube my tav once a season usually and scrape a bit of dust out of it.

comet belts are better. But honestly I’ve ran Chinese belts and OEM. I get less life from a Chinese belt about 50 hours before they let go. My comet belt has close to that now and it’s half worn out. It’s starting to slip under a heavy load like a steep hill climb

LIVIT

your belt alignment is definitely way off. That’s shredding your belt.

a bit of belt dust is normal. I clean and lube my tav once a season usually and scrape a bit of dust out of it.

comet belts are better. But honestly I’ve ran Chinese belts and OEM. I get less life from a Chinese belt about 50 hours before they let go. My comet belt has close to that now and it’s half worn out. It’s starting to slip under a heavy load like a steep hill climb
What are you using to lube your TAV ?